Monday, September 17, 2018

Interview with Terri Bertha Author of Spooky Twisties Series




Tell us a little about yourself  

I've lived my entire life in the rolling hills and three rivers of western Pennsylvania and the majority of my working years were as a Systems Engineer for a large corporation. When my sons were born, I took a hiatus from work, and tutored math and reading while being a substitute teacher in local schools. I returned to the workforce and retired a few years ago which allowed me to pursue my true passions of writing and art.

There is nothing better than finding the time to do what you are passionate about. Will you share a short excerpt from your novel?



From Spooky Twisties II: The Eternal Tree Story

The kids traveled down to the edge of town where the old cemetery sat between the railroad tracks and a row of huge old oak trees. Even though it was daylight, the thickness of the tree limbs and leaves turned the surroundings into darkness.

“Did anyone bring a flashlight?” asked Chris.

“I did,” said Jack. “Don’t know why. Just thought it may be helpful, along with a shovel to dig.”

When they reached the cemetery, they noticed only a few headstones, sitting crooked and half buried in the ground. The engravings on the front were barely readable from the years gone by. The kids started walking by the trees, inspecting each one.

“We found it!” yelled Chris when they got to the fifth tree. “We found the tree with the ‘X’. Everyone take a look around and see if we find anything else.”

They were about ready to start digging when Jack hollered, “I found something, guys.” Jack’s hands were brushing away dirt and leaves in the tangled roots at the base of the tree. The kids gathered around closely and watched in anticipation as he pulled out an old leather pouch.

“Here,” said Jack to Chris, handing him the pouch. “You open it.”

Chris carefully untied the rawhide strings.

“Maybe it’s a big diamond,” said Lindsay, jumping up and down. Then she stopped and said, “But how do we split up a diamond?”

“We hit it with a big hammer,” laughed Nick. “How do you think we do it?”

Everyone laughed and waited eagerly to see the pouch contents.

Chris reached inside and pulled out a piece of paper.

“Don’t tell me it’s another map,” said Nick.

“No, it looks like a poem or something.”

“What kind of stupid treasure is that?” said Paul. “A poem!”

“Hurry up and read it!” ordered Lindsay, who was the bossiest of them all. “Maybe it will tell us where to find the treasure!”

“Okay, be quiet and listen up,” said Chris.

My spirit holds here,
Tied to a tree.
Without a sacrifice,
It’s eternity.
The rope tear down,
And place below.
My spirit then free,
Will forward go.
I need release,
For me to be free.
A sign of the cross,
To bury me.
The sacrifice,
You need to show,
Is help me down,
To earth below.

“What the heck does that mean?” asked Lindsay. “It doesn’t make any sense.”


“Yeah, it doesn’t make sense. And what about the part about a sacrifice? What’s that supposed to mean?” said Paul.


Terri can you tell us what brought about the idea for this book?

One of my first stories was about a group of kids that go out to play their annual game of ghosts in the graveyard. Thinking of other things twelve-year-olds like to do and 'what if' scenarios led to additional tales which eventually became the Spooky Twisties Series. Each of the books consists of thirteen interconnected stories which follow a group of friends as they navigate their way through supernatural events in an idyllic community during the course of a ‘normal’ day. A mix of horror, humor, and ‘twisted endings’ make the short stories fun and entertaining for young and old alike.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

This may sound silly but my dream in five years would be to be collaborating on a TV series based on Spooky Twisties.  Each of my books contains 13 unique and original stories (39 stories total) which I can easily visualize as three seasons of half hour episodes.


I don't think it's silly at all. Dreams are what keep us going. I wish you all the best. Currently, what are you working on?

I am currently working on a Spooky Twisites IV involving the same group of kids, but it would be a chapter book and not individual stories.


Tell us a little bit about your main characters

My characters begin as twelve-year-olds and age as the books progress. They are everyday normal kids who like to hang out together and have fun. There is a mix of boys and girls and the stories revolve around how they solve supernatural events thrown their way in their neighborhood without adult help.

What has been the best compliment you have received?

The best compliment received was from reviews comparing my books to Goosebumps/RL Stein – “would recommend books to those who enjoy RL Stine/Goosebumps”
“Look out Goosebumps there's a new spooky series in town.”


That's a great compliment. How do you promote your books? Any tips you can share?

My promotion is shared by my publisher and myself. On my end, I use social media quite a bit, such as Facebook groups, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin and my website. I also visit local libraries and donate my books.


Who designed the artwork for your cover?  Or did you design it yourself?

I submit ideas on what I’d like to see on the cover to Charlotte Volnek – head of the Art Department at MuseItUp Publishing who works with me on the design.


Is there something you learned from writing your first book?

After my first book was published, my writing developed and improved with the second and third books.  The stories were written smoother and less edits were required.  I found that the more I write, the better I write.


How many times do you think you read your book before going to print?

I easily reread my manuscript at least 10-12 times before I send it to my editor.


It's amazing how much time gets spent working on a book before it becomes published. Any last words?

Follow your dreams and turn them into something to leave your mark in this world. It’s never too late to try something new.



Thank you so much for sharing with us today! Don't forget to check out all of Terri's Spooky Tales


No comments:

Post a Comment