Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Interview with David Hillman author of Berkley A nose tale



Today I'd like to welcome a talented illustrator and author, David Hillman. Tell us a little about yourself.

I’ve been a freelance illustrator for over 20 years, illustrating everything from comic books, storyboards, and toys and games. My book, “Berkley, A Nose Tale”, coming out on November 1st this year, will be my debut children’s book.
Congratulations! There is nothing like publishing your first book. What brought about the idea for this book?

 The image of Berkley had been in my head for a number of years. To me there was something appealing about a dog with a huge nose who uses it to his advantage. It was only in the last two years that I started to build a story around the character.




Where do you see yourself in five years? 

Continuing to write and illustrate the further adventures of Berkley, as well as the other characters I have running around in my head.
That's exciting. I love series, because the story goes on and you get to learn more about the character you love. David, have you been given any helpful advice? If so What? 

 I’ve been fortunate enough to have a lot of wonderful people in my corner, and the best advice I’ve gotten so far is to take time to find my voice. Create the way you feel is right and an audience will find you.
Currently, what are you working on? 

Right now I’m roughing out the next adventures of Berkley.
Tell us a little bit about your main characters:  

Berkley is a Basset hound/Beagle mix with the biggest nose you’ve ever seen!  And he’s always sticking it where it doesn’t belong, often getting himself into trouble, but ultimately he learns how to use it to his advantage to help others.


What was your favorite scene to write?  

Anytime Berkley’s nose gets him in trouble.
Who designed the artwork for your cover?  Or did you design it yourself? 

As an illustrator I designed all the artwork myself, but my publisher’s design team did all the typesetting.
I think it looks fantastic! Is there something you learned from writing your first book?

 Creating a children’s book is not as easy as one might think, especially if you are both writing and illustrating it.
How many times do you think you read your book before going to print?

 I’ve gone through my book countless times, right up to the very moment of the last approval stage.


David, any last words?

 Writing and illustrating picture books has been a dream of mine for some time, and sometime I regret that I didn’t start sooner. However I’ve slowly come to realize that finally following my dream here and now is where I’m supposed to be.  And I’m Ok with that.

That's great! Be sure to check out Berkley and his many adventures.
Available for Pre Order Today!
http://www.blackrosewriting.com/childrens-booksya/berkleyanosetale

Facebook
Instagram

Happy Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment