Monday, September 3, 2018

Interview with James Foard author of The Kindred Chronicles






Tell us a little about yourself:

My name is James Foard. I have just released my debut novel – The Kindred Chronicles: Origins Unknown. I live on the South Coast of the U.K with my wife, two sons and two high spirited dogs. I have had a love for all things Sci-fi and Fantasy for as long as I can remember. This was nurtured with the release of Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Alien, et al, and later, The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter.

Books that were never too far away from me in my early years were The Chronicles of Narnia and most things by Roald Dahl – Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and George's Marvellous Medicine being particular favourites. But the one book that had the biggest impact on me was The Lord of the Rings.

Escapism was a key part of my early life and continues to be. Growing up on a farm in some ways was quite a solitary existence but it did give me the opportunity to explore and allow my imagination to thrive.

With an innate ability to tell a story, I used to make up tales on the spot for my younger brother and sister when they couldn’t sleep at night.

None of my friends or family will challenge me at Scrabble or indulge me with a game of Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit – I’m not sure why.

I might take you up on the Lord of the Rings Game. My kids think I'm a little obsessed with it. Will you share a short excerpt from your novel?

Magissa Veil was a tall, thin woman with jet black hair that was pulled back so tight that it seemed to be pulling her facial features higher up her face than they should be. She had a very pale, gaunt complexion that only served to accentuate her cold, green eyes. They say a person’s eyes are the windows to their soul, well if that was the case, Magissa Veil did not possess one. Everything about her was emotionless – rigid. The way she spoke, the way she looked and even the way she moved. “Clean that up, you fool!” she hissed. The disdain in her voice was evident. 

“What information do you have for me?”

Varios Veil finished cleaning up his mess and then apologised once more.

“I’m sorry, Mother.”

 “Yes, yes, yes, just tell me what you know and then be on your way.”

“I was on the edge of the Ensing Forest, near the Cragon Hills this afternoon and I saw that crackpot Mystic, Maven.”

“Maven! He is of no concern to us; he hides away in the forest. He lost his mind right about the same time as his king.” She looked towards another room as she said this and her lips curled slightly at the edges and formed the most sinister of smiles. “This isn’t news. If there is nothing more, then be on your way.”

She started to walk away.

“He wasn’t alone,” said Varios.

Magissa stopped in her tracks and her smile faded away.

“What do you mean he wasn’t alone?”


What brought about the idea for this book?

 I came up with the basic concept of the book and the story and characters evolved from there. I drew on experiences from my own childhood for the main character, but in saying that, he is not me and I am not him.  

James, where do you see yourself in five years?

I see myself having multiple books/series under my belt and will hopefully have enjoyed enough success to become a full time author. I have a deep and genuine love of writing that I can only see growing over the years. I find it extremely therapeutic and it is something that I feel so suited to.

I understand the draw. Currently, what are you working on?

 I am currently working on book two of The Kindred Chronicles. This is the second book in a planned trilogy.

What has been the most difficult thing you have struggled with since you began a career in writing?

 I, like just about any other writer in history have had periods where the creativity just won’t flow. But my biggest struggle is the marketing and promotion of the book. In terms of both ideas and the time to implement them (I currently have a full time job).

Marketing is never the fun part. I think it's something most writers struggle with. We'd all rather spend our time writing. What was your favorite scene to write?

There is a scene where the group are pinned down by a Hydra. Without giving too much away, the stakes are raised significantly at this point in the story. This particular scene flowed more than any other in the book. Where this book is concerned, I have had the good fortune of being able to envisage what I was writing almost as if it were a movie playing out in my head.

What has been the best compliment you have received?

I have had a lot of positivity from various people and I appreciate every one of them. The best compliment that I have received though is a review from a fellow author. They had no vested interest at all and to receive such a great review from a peer, made me feel as though I can really achieve as an author.

How do you handle criticism when it comes to your writing?

 I welcome constructive criticism as no matter what, none us are infallible and can always learn and improve in anything that we undertake. What I do not like is criticism for criticisms sake. But in saying that, no one could be a bigger critic of my work than me. So ultimately, if I am happy with the end product then it bodes well.

James, is there something you learned from writing your first book?

The most important thing that I learned is to write what you love. If you write something that you love, the reader will pick up on this and it will resonate with them. Whereas if you try to write something that just isn’t you, it will just not translate properly or feel right.

I agree. Which do you find more challenging inventing the hero or the villain?  Why?

Personally, I find it harder to invent the hero. The reason for this is, the hero will go through challenges, trials and tribulations that will test your ability to keep them ‘heroic’ and not send them down a bad road or turn them into an anti-hero. The villain however will start off bad and through their actions, will generally become all the more evil.

How many times do you think you read your book before going to print?

 I read it start to finish probably around a dozen times. I lost count of how many times I read it from the beginning to whatever point I had gotten to during the course of its creation.

James, any last words that you'd like to share?

Just to say thank you very much for taking the time to post my interview, it is greatly appreciated.

James, thank you so much for sharing with us today. Happy Reading!!









1 comment:

  1. I'd definitely be interested in playing you at LOTR Trivial Pursuit.
    My family also think I'm obsessed, and they're probably right. :)

    ReplyDelete