Friday, December 22, 2017

Interview with Nancy Quinn Author of Go West, Young Woman!




Today I would like to welcome Nancy Quinn, author of Go West, Young Woman!  Nancy why don't you start off by telling us a little about yourself.

I am a wildlife artist and recently became a published author with Hellgate Press.  I live with my family, horses, and dogs on a mountain in western Montana where I paint and write about our experiences living in the modern, but still wild, west.

What got you into writing?

When my husband retired from the Air Force we left Washington, D.C., to pursue a more rural lifestyle.  We loved the mountains and had purchased land two years earlier in Montana.  We discovered a steep learning curve to mountain living.  We had to deal with wild animals, weather, and a host of other challenges when building and settling into our new home.  We had many interesting and unusual experiences, and I found that sharing our stories with friends and family back east generated a lot of interest in modern frontier life.  What started as amusement and entertainment for them soon evolved into a writing career for me. 

That's exciting.  I would love to live a more rural lifestyle, but worry about the wild animals!  Will you share a short excerpt from your novel

"It looks like a modern-day covered wagon,” I quipped as I examined the heavy blue tarp that covered the back of our new pickup truck, a gunmetal grey Ford F250. Underneath, were stacked my husband’s tools, along with other basic necessities we would need for our new life in Montana. They filled the eight-foot bed, and overflowed into the U-Haul trailer his mother had managed to secure for us. It was the last one available in the tri-state area, and thanks to her dogged efforts, we acquired it, instead of one of the thousands of graduating seniors who were disgorging this same week from nearby Florida State University.

As we hurried about, checking the lashings one last time before we departed, I scanned the scene. It was a bright and beautiful spring day, and the sun glinting off of the metal body contrasted sharply with the shimmering tarp. Colorful as it was, I tried to imagine it was not unlike the prairie schooners of the pioneer stories I loved reading in my childhood. The idea that I too was moving west was like a dream finally come true. But it had started as a nightmare...

What a great selection, I am curious already about the trials that you went through. Nancy, if you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go and why?

I would love to see Greece.  I missed an opportunity to visit it when I was young.  It has so much history, and I think walking among the ruins and swimming in the Mediterranean Sea would be amazing experiences.  I’ve also heard that Scotland and Ireland have truly beautiful scenery, and Italy’s Tuscany region would be great to explore.

Currently, what are you working on?

I am currently working on the sequel to my book, “Go West, Young Woman!”.  It covers the next five years of our story.

Share something with us not a lot of people know about you.

I have a keen interest and background in music. I studied voice for years and sang professionally for a while.  Even though I’ve remained a novice, I enjoy playing the piano and guitar. 

I regret not sticking with the piano.  I love to hear people play.  Who designed the artwork for your cover?  Or did you design it yourself?

The book cover is a photograph taken from our front porch.  In my opinion, the rainbow represents hope, which is a recurring theme of the book.

How do you promote your books? Any tips you can share?

I have recently begun making YouTube videos, and started my own channel.  I share recipes from my books, visits with our horses, and have future projects in development.  Essentially, I focus on various fun and informative aspects of the high mountain western lifestyle.  I keep them short in duration and always try to include a bit of humor.

That's a great way to draw people in.  I am a very visual person.  What are your hobbies aside from writing, if any?

I enjoy reading and collecting books about design, decorating, and architecture. I also like to refinish old furniture, and collect antique glass candy dishes.  I think it is fun to research their history and find out in what part of the world they were designed and manufactured.  I like to garden as well, growing both flowers and vegetables.

Nancy any last words?

I hope my efforts as a wildlife artist and author will provide a smile to those who see my work, and help inspire people to discover and pursue their own dreams.

Congrats and good luck with the sequel!  Thank you so much for sharing with us today.  Don't forget to check out Go West, Young Woman!  Happy Reading!!



Nancy Quinn
Wildlife Artist and Author
Visit my website Quinn Art
Learn more about my Book or view the Video Book Trailer
Also available through Amazon and my Publisher
Find me on Facebook or Goodreads


No comments:

Post a Comment