Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Interview with J.R. Lindermuth author of The Tithing Herd




Today I am hosting J.R. Lindermuth.  Welcome J.R. tell us a little about yourself.

I'm a retired newspaper editor and live in the small town in central Pennsylvania where I was born. Since retiring I've served as librarian for my county historical society, assisting patrons with genealogy and research. I also write a weekly history column for the local newspaper. Both my children (a son and daughter) and their spouses live nearby, as well as my four grandsons. During my newspaper days I wrote and had published articles and even a few short stories in various magazines. I didn't publish a novel until after my retirement. I've now published 16 novels and a non-fiction regional history and contributed to an anthology or two.

Wow, you have been busy in your retirement.  Congratulations! What got you into writing?

I've always been a voracious reader and that led to writing my own stories in my teens. But, originally, I wanted to be an artist. I'd just been accepted to art school when I received my draft notice. The Army didn't need an artist, so they sent me to J-school, which provided me a means of making a living later.

First off let me thank you for your service.  I am so thankful to all the men and women who have served and continue to serve.  What is your writing process like? Do you have a routine?

I believe it's important to write every day. I don't force myself to a word count. I think the discipline is more important than burdening yourself with a word goal. When I'm in the grip of a story my output tends to increase. I'm more of a pantser than a plotter. I basically know the direction I'm heading, but knowing everything that's going to happen in advance would stifle my interest in the story. I like to let my characters surprise me.



I need to be more dedicated in my writing.  I do try and do something for my writing everyday, but sometimes it's promoting or editing.  I need to write a little more I think.  Since you wrote in this genre, do you think you will ever write in other genres?



Most of my writing has been in the mystery and historical fiction genres. The Tithing Herd is my second 'traditional' western. Though set in Pennsylvania, an editor felt two of my earlier books had the feel of westerns and promoted them as such.



What brought about the idea for your book?


I was reading about the Mormons in the west and how some lacking cash paid their tithe in cattle. That was the spark for the idea.



I love it when a true story sparks an idea.  Mormons did pay tithing with cattle, some with chickens, whatever they had at the time.  They wanted to be faithful and used what they could to fulfill the commandment.  I happen to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints aka the Mormon church. The faith of those early pioneers is something I admire. J.R. can you tell us a little bit about your main characters.


Luther (Lute) Donnelly, a former lawman, is tracking rustlers who killed his brother and cost him his job. Though not a member of the church, Lute is in love with Serene McCullough, a Mormon widow, and had planned to marry her before his troubles. While on the trail he rescues Tom Baskin, a young boy who also has a score to settle with the rustlers. Lute's desire for vengeance is replaced by another more important goal when the bandits kidnap Serene and hold her ransom for the cattle, pitting him against dangerous odds in a desperate quest to save the woman he loves.

Share a short excerpt from your novel:



Tom sipped his milk but ignored the plate of cookies Mrs. Foulds pushed at him. “Why do they treat me like a child?” he asked.

“It’s not that, honey,” Molly told him, reaching a hand across the table to pat his arm. “They just don’t want you to get hurt.” Mrs. Foulds had no children but that didn’t lessen her maternal instinct.

“I was with Moon and Dent for weeks and they never once tried to shoot me.”

“Yeah, but you were doing their dirty work then and not asking for the money they owe you. And you weren’t riding with Lute, either.”

“What is it between them, anyway?”

Mrs. Foulds picked up a cookie and absent-mindedly broke it in two. She looked at Tom, the glow of the oil lamp between them reflected in her eyes which had gone suddenly serious. “It happened about a year ago,” she said.

She nibbled pensively at a piece of the cookie before continuing. “Lute was county sheriff then, and a right good one he was. Everybody—Mormon and Gentile alike—respected him.

“Moon and Dent, they’d drifted into the area a few years before. Saddle-bums. They got into scrapes now and again. Nothing serious until they linked up with a fellow called Spanish. Nobody knows his real name. Some say he’s a Basque from up in Idaho. Nobody knows for certain where he came from. Anyway, them and a couple others started rustling, robbing miners, raising all kind of ruckus.

“Like I said, Lute was a good sheriff. He got on their trail and it wasn’t long until he had Moon and Dent in jail awaitin’ trial. Spanish busted them out and in the process killed two deputies—one of them Lute’s younger brother and the other a fellow who’d grown up with them.”

“So, he’s been tracking them ever since,” Tom said.

“Yeah. He not only lost his brother and a friend. He lost his job over the incident,” Molly said, nodding her head. “But it goes deeper than that. Lute’s no longer interested in justice. He’s after revenge now. And that’s no good for any man.”

There were tears in Molly’s eyes now and Tom reached out and took her hand. “You care a whole lot for him, don’t you?”

Molly wiped at her eyes with the back of one chubby hand and gave Tom a weak smile. She nodded. “Clem and me never had no children of our own. We love him like a son. Oh, he’s stubborn and he can be mighty tough, but there’s a tenderness to him that just makes a woman ache to care for him.

“After it happened, the county took away his badge. They blamed him just like he blamed himself. He turned his back on the woman he was supposed to marry, on us, on everybody that cared about him.

“We wanted him to stay here. It wasn’t just charity, though that’s the way he sees it. Clem’s getting up in years and could use the help. Lute don’t know a thing about cows, but he’s real handy with horses. He could have found peace here.”

“But he couldn’t let those men get away,” Tom said. “They had to pay.”

Molly smiled again. “You sound like him. Don’t you see—it wasn’t his concern anymore. He wasn’t sheriff. It wasn’t his fault and he needs to stop blamin’ himself. He should let the fate of those men up to the law and God.”
J.R. what are your hobbies aside from writing, if any?


Naturally, spending time with family. Reading. Drawing. Genealogy. Walking.

I love to walk.  I'd like to get more into Genealogy.  I am trying to learn some of the new programs out there.  Currently, what are you working on?

In Silence Sealed, the eighth in my Sticks Hetrick mystery series, will be released in February by Torrid Books, a division of Whiskey Creek Press/Start Publishing. In the meantime, I'm at work on another western.

J.R. how do you promote your books? Any tips you can share with struggling authors?

This is the tough part for all of us, whether we're self- or otherwise published. How to stand out and find an audience amidst all the competition? There are no independent bookstores near me now and the few chains in the area haven't been particularly friendly. So, on the local scene, I've worked with libraries, some clubs and groups open to signings/programs and any other outlet willing to provide an opportunity.  I haven't the revenue for big advertising or tours. Friends and family have been helpful in spreading the word (few options are better than word of mouth, in my opinion). And, naturally, I utilize all the online opportunities I can find--social media, blogging, guest blogging, reviews, etc. I would encourage any writer to join groups where writers help one another. One such group is the Short Mystery Fiction Society, where I served a term as vice president. Though focused primarily on short stories, a majority of the members are also novelists and promoting one another is encouraged.

I have found other authors to be a great resource to go to for help and advice.  Most are more than happy to help. Have you been given any helpful advice over the years?

When I was striving to be an artist I asked the painter Thomas Hart Benton for advice on succeeding. His reply was one word: Paint. I think the same might be applied to writing. As Stephen King once said, "If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot." The writing community is one of the most friendly and helpful you'll ever find. If you need advice on any aspect of writing, it's available for the asking.


Find out more about J.R. at the sites below.  Happy Reading!!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for providing this opportunity, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, John. Like you, I'm primarily a pantser, and like you, I like to let my characters surprise me. Write on and be well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete