Friday, December 8, 2017

Interview with Errin Stevens author of Updrift











Today I'd like to welcome Errin Stevens author of the Mer Chronicles! 

Errin, what got you into writing?

Reading! I truly don’t remember the order of events in some of my childhood because I read so much, lived so much in my fiction. About a decade ago I started considering story lines I read in light of how I would write them. Updrift started out this way, and then became something independent the more I thought about it.


Share a short excerpt from your novel

“Kate maintained only the dimmest sense of herself thereafter, the majority of her consciousness committed to the idea she was Elizabeth Hughes, engaged to Peter Loughlin, pregnant with their child. She couldn’t have answered Kenna if she’d wanted to due to the happy fog hanging over her senses. Peter begged his mother’s forgiveness for Elizabeth’s tiredness; the baby was taxing her, he explained. He covered her hand on the table with his own as he wove a story for her of how they’d met. His eyes never left hers, although his address was to his mother.

Such a pretty story, Kate thought. She’d fallen off a boat full of other humans on a snorkeling tour, and he’d found her swimming aimlessly, lost and nearly exhausted. He smiled at her adoringly while he told Kenna he’d fallen in love at first sight.”

Excerpt From: Errin Stevens. “Updrift.”


Which do you prefer: print books or ebooks?

I prefer paper, although I do read a ton on my Nook or iPad. It’s just so convenient! But the experience is still different, and actual books take me into a slightly different kind of contemplation.


I have found that most authors still prefer print.  Although the convenience of an e-reader is nice at times. Have you been given any helpful advice?

Tons. I’ve also been given some crap advice… ;-) Here’s a humorous little essay I wrote on the subject a while back: http://errinstevens.com/good-advice/


Currently, what are you working on?

Number three in my trilogy, Outrush, is giving me fits. Fits! My mother reminds me the other ones did, too, so I’m trying to view my process on this one as normal.


I am having a little trouble with one scene right now.  Sometimes you just have to step away and come back to it.  Good Luck with it! How did you decide on what to title each book?

The original working titles for my stories were Blue, Sapphire, and Cobalt; but when I looked at everything else out there, I decided I wanted something fresher and more dynamic. So I waded through (!) various lists of oceanographic terms until I came across a couple I liked and one I altered so I would like it. ‘Cause “Backrush” sounds like the dregs in a glass of someone else’s beer, don’t you think?


Share something with us not a lot of people know about you.

I know writing and introversion seem to go together, but people who know me are often surprised to learn I’m an introvert. I’m a devoted friend and love my family, and I come off as outgoing, but I’m actually a private person. My social media outreach efforts remain an uncomfortable part of what I do because of this (although I confess to enjoying Instagram/Bookstagram most days!).


Is this a stand-alone novel or part of a series?

Well, it’s a trilogy at this point, with Updrift and Breakwater already out there, and Outrush on its way, pant-pant. I have ideas for one more novel and one novella to go with this series… and I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to tackle them. J


That's exciting.  As an avid reader, I would suggest writing them all.  I love to learn more about the characters I love.  The more the better. Errin, do you have people read your drafts before you publish?  How do you select beta readers?

Yesyesyesyes. It’s so important. Seriously, you don’t see the things you would in someone else’s work, and a brain on the outside is a must if you want your story to be its best. I always hire a developmental editor… and I’ve finally found one I trust, Martha Moran. I started out in life in investor relations proofing 10ks and 10qs, so I have a pretty good eye for detail; but I also have at least one person copy edit. I still find errors after several of us have been through a draft. By the end of six months, I think we get there, though.


I agree.  Finding good people to go over your work is crucial.  Everyone sees things in a different way.  People have pointed out things to me I would have never thought of. Who designed the artwork for your cover?  Or did you design it yourself?

I was a PR guy in an ad agency in an earlier life and still get together with the old gang from time to time. I was lucky to work with so many extraordinary, talented folks, one of which was Randy Tatum. He designed all three in my series, and although he doesn’t know it yet, I’m likely to torture him with a request for two more covers down the line.



What are your hobbies aside from writing, if any?

I garden, mother, volunteer, study-but-study the art of drinking coffee… and I sometimes knit things that don’t require gauge.


Thanks for sharing with us today, Errin.  Happy Reading!!



 Amazon:    Updrift

                    Breakwater





Instagram: @errinstevens

Twitter: @errinstevens




No comments:

Post a Comment