Monday, April 23, 2018

Interview with Illustrator Anastasia Shygaieva




My name is Anastasia ( or Nastasia) Shygaieva. I live and work as an illustrator and an art teacher in New York. I was named one of the 222 Best young book Illustrators. I was raised in Ukraine and was mostly influenced by the Ukrainian art culture. Over the past years I have been working with watercolor paint, creating a unique layering and aquarelle effect in illustrations. I really love what I do!


If there was one thing you wished author’s knew about illustrating what would it be?

Publishers that I worked with know that I am a talented illustrator with wide experience in creating unique and professional quality illustrations. I am proficient in everything from classical art, portrait to cartooning, from packaging to children's book illustrations. I provide fast, friendly illustration and design services. I work well with my clients and strive for perfection! I have worked with Ogilvy& Mather for a long time.


How do you communicate with the author on a project? Do you like it when the author gives a lot of direction or just lets you have creative license?

I am open to the suggestions and publisher’s directions when I am working on a new book. Most of the publishers trust me and rely on my sense of taste when I’m choosing the subject for illustrating.

What do you typically charge per illustration?

For single projects , such as 1 title illustration, or 1 poster, a logo, etc. I charge per hour. My hourly rate is 25$ as for today. But for other projects, that require hard and long hours of illustrating, I charge according to a budget.


What has been your favorite project to work on so far?

Currently I am working on a few very interesting projects, that I will be planning to sell to the publishers.



Anastasia, what is your preferred method to illustrate in?  Digital? Pencils? Watercolor?

My aim is to reach client's complete satisfaction, so I always offer two-three revisions until the image is approved I do hand-made sketches, scan them and send to my client for revision. When sketches are approved I continue to digital (or hand-made) color, revisions if any and then final delivery.


Any last words? I am open for cooperation. Please don’t hesitate to contact me)!


Thanks for sharing with us. Be sure to check out Anastasia at the links below.  Happy Reading!!





skype: nastasyash

No comments:

Post a Comment