Friday, April 6, 2018

Interview with Dale Briton author of The World I Know



Today I'd like to welcome fellow Texan Dale Briton. Tell us a little about yourself.

I grew up in the Buffalo, NY area, went to school in Utah, spent two years in France, and now live in Arlington, Texas. Still not sure how that happened. I met my wife in college, and we have three beautiful daughters. I teach high school math and computer science, and spend most of my free time writing young adult novels. Learning to be an author has been a wonderful adventure.



It is definitely a learning process. Being an author is a lot more than just writing a good story. What brought about the idea for this book?

Strangely, the idea for this novel came from a list of writing prompts. One of them was “Everything in your house has been replaced by identical copies of the originals.” I thought it was kind of silly, but I couldn’t stop thinking about it, and it evolved into the premise of The World I Know.



Dale, where do you see yourself in five years?

My dream is to progress to the point where I can earn enough from my writing to cut down on the extra work I do at my second job. My goal is to release two novels a year, so in five years I should have twelve out.



Two a year is a lot of work.  I am presently attempting the same goal. Good luck! Hopefully we can both keep up the momentum. Currently, what are you working on?

I’m finishing the novel I started for National Novel Writing Day, and planning the next one (Everyone Knows Jane). I’m also beginning the editing process on the book I’m planning to release this summer: Too Much Information.

Congrats! A new release is always an exciting time. What has been the most difficult thing you have struggled with since you began a career in writing?

For me, the hardest thing is finding time to work. I have two jobs, a family, a house, commitments at my church, and a hundred other things. It’s really hard finding time to write, edit, and promote my work. It’s gotten harder now that I’ve already released two of my books.

I hear you. There are only so many hours in the day, and there is so much work involved after the release of a book that I had no idea of before publishing a book. Dale will you tell us a little bit about your main characters.

Leo, my main character, is a popular high school jock (so I’m definitely not writing what I know) who slowly starts to realize that the world is changing around him. A lot of the story deals with his interactions with his girlfriend Shelly, a stereotypical cheerleader, and Cassidy, a girl who has magically appeared in his school. Leo’s experience helps him to rethink his priorities.



Do you have people read your drafts before you publish?  How do you select beta readers?

I show my work to anyone I can convince to look at it. I need as much feedback as I can possibly get. I’m a member of a number of critique groups, and we read each other’s books to offer advice and suggestions. I would not have been able to do this without all of the people who have helped me.



I agree the more eyes the better. Who designed the artwork for your cover?  Or did you design it yourself?

Unfortunately, I’m not at a place where I can afford to pay for artwork. I design my covers myself, again with as much input as I can get from others.





How do you handle criticism when it comes to your writing?

Fortunately, I’m aware of the fact that I have room to improve in my writing. I need criticism. I can take it. I’ve gotten a lot of good advice, and fortunately I haven’t had any overly harsh criticism. Not yet, anyway.



Dale, is there something you learned from writing your first book?

I learned that I actually could write a book. I wrote it over five years ago, and I had no idea what I was doing. It needs a ton of work before it will see the light of day. I really liked the premise a lot, though, so I’m hoping I’m be able to find the time to work on it.



How many times do you think you read your book before going to print?

I read it so much that I’m totally sick of it before I finally publish it. At least, that’s what’s happened so far. I’ve only published two.




Thanks so much for sharing with us today. Don't forget to check out all of Dale's books.  Happy Reading!!




Blog:  dalebritton.wordpress.com

Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/Dale-Britton/e/B06XXMGSN8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

No comments:

Post a Comment