Friday, October 20, 2017

Interview with Melanie Mole author of Man + Woman = Trouble



 Welcome Melanie!  Thanks for taking the time to be with us today.

Tell us a little about yourself

I would have to say that I am an honest and supportive person, with a passion for writing and books. That I care about people and the environment, and genuinely want to make things better whenever I can. That I am a good listener who tries not to judge too. Physically – rounded, with rosy cheeks, and a good heart!

People like you are hard to come by :) Will you share a short excerpt from on of your novels?

Yes, that would be good. The first excerpt is from my non-fiction book 'Man + Woman = Trouble' -

That Old Chestnut Nagger
          The characteristics of a That Old Chestnut Nagger are persistence and having a really good memory, and boy do women have good memories. Especially where we think the subject in hand really matters. Make sure that you remember this because it is a distinct advantage if you do. Of course no logical thought process would have ever gone into this decision. We tend to store up our points to remind us how bad you have been in a sort of brain sack. It’s hidden away in a very dark and dingy place. The sort of place you wouldn’t want to go to after dark. Where monsters loom, and even they have to fight for survival. A place where you should expect the unexpected to happen, and where you should be very afraid, because it is very unpredictable depending on mood and hormone levels.
          Men just need to remember that we can store all this information we often refer to as important stuff for a very long time. This is the sort of stuff which we are sure to bring up the next time you either look at us in a funny way, or perhaps when you do something like breathe. Yes I did say breathe. You can sometimes only do one of these before we blow again. We are like a volcano just waiting to erupt. Not all of us of course. But there are enough women like this for anyone to be weary.
          Another thing to remember is that we never lose sight of our original point for discussion. It is always there lurking in the background. Don't forget that it is also a woman’s prerogative to add more points at any time. In fact the list can just grow and grow. Like one of those seemingly tiny pieces of paper that is folded neatly, but which can unravel and grow to an incredible length at any time. So, gentlemen, it may be advisable that you have your own list to argue points from. That’s something that the lady in your life won’t be expecting. Shock tactics are usually a good way of causing a detour around the subject in hand. Especially if you want to buy some extra time or if you are dying to get to the pub/bar or to do something else that’s equally as important. But of course you need to be aware that any dodged points will only come back to bite you later, so sometimes it’s best to just suffer at the time and get it over with. It really depends on when you want more hassle. Is it best to have trouble now, or later? Only you can make that decision. Because one thing you can be sure of is that it will surely come at some point in time.
      
Have you been given any helpful advice?

Yes. Never, ever, give up! Use whatever keeps you going to do just that. Also, read about J.K Rowling's story for inspiration. I don't just mean about how many publishers turned her down. I mean about what she went through in her personal life before she even got to that point. Keep fighting for what you want, always.

I agree, that's important advice to remember.  This business can be hard.  Most authors don't have overnight success. Melanie will you share something with us not a lot of people know about you.

Well, I have written most of my books without getting a good night's sleep. Because of a shoulder injury I have, I still need to have further shoulder surgery. The pain from it means that either I take regular pain killers that don't work, or I take strong ones which knock me out during the day a lot too. I haven't been able to sleep in a bed for 18 months now. So I sleep sitting up in a chair every night. To be honest it is exhausting. Most of us can cope with a few night of poor sleep, but at the moment that is my reality every night. I hope that the further surgery that is scheduled for me will work, and I will be sleeping soundly again soon.
That sounds horrible.  I am so sorry.  I hope your surgery goes well and offers you some relief.  Do you promote your books? Any tips you can share with us?

When you start to promote them, which should happen way before your book is published, you want to try everything. But in reality there literally aren't enough hours in the day to do it all. So, you need to stick to what works, and not waste your time on those that don't. You could be writing more books instead.
I collect writing and marketing tips as I find them. My list has been invaluable. So I would advise anyone to do the same.
Also build up relationships with other writers and bloggers. They become like a family which supports each other. You can be there for each other in good times and bad, and I like that.

Thanks that is good advice, as someone just starting, I have started a list of those who have helped me promote Sunwalker, and plan to reach out to them when my upcoming projects are ready. What brought about the idea for your book, Melanie?

There are different ideas for each book. My first book, 'Simply Does It', has just been published. My life has been changed for the better in so many ways by living more simply. This book chronicles the start of my journey towards raising my writing capacity by over 800% in just a year! I wanted to keep the quality of my writing, so I edited again and again. I can honestly say that I have found the magic formula for being able to write much more, even though I was also a full time, live in carer for a relative at the same time. The demands of this mean that I never knew, day or night, when I would be called to help them. Plus I had surgery of my own during this time too. So, if you want to know how I started that journey then 'Simply Does It' could really be the book for you.
My second book, 'Man + Woman = Trouble', came about because I had so many stories to tell about the mountain of relationship mistakes I had made. I also wanted to give tips on how not to behave if you want a great relationship. So this book encompasses these, and more. I tried to keep it lighthearted so that it would be both interesting, and also make readers laugh. It is aimed at both men and women no matter what type of relationship they are in. So I hope that my readers will enjoy it.

What are your hobbies aside from writing, if any?
It has to be reading. I am a book-a-holic. There will never be enough time for me to read all of the books that I want to in one lifetime. Not in ten lifetimes in fact.

I love to read too, but how found I have far less time to pick up a book now that I am pursuing writing as a career.  Since you wrote in this genre, do you think you will ever write in other genres?

I usually write non-fiction. I definitely find writing fiction more difficult. I generally write non-fiction, but I got brave this year and wrote my first short story called  'Blossom Shines at Buttercup Bay'. It is contained in a Creativia Anthology titled 'Once Upon a Broken Dream'. I was really pleased that my first attempt at writing fiction was published in this book. My aim is to write a whole series of Buttercup Bay Books. I have the outlines already written, so just need to start writing them now!

Melanie, that's fantastic.  I think its great to try things out of our comfort zone.  Congrats!  Any last words?
Yes. Keep going. Never, ever let anyone, or anything, beat you. You are in control of your own writing destiny. So go for it!
I love to connect with everyone. You can find me here -

Thanks so much for joining us.  Happy Reading!!






















Hope to see you there :)
You can find my books here -

Man + Woman = Trouble




No comments:

Post a Comment