Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Author Interview with Ben Jackson and Sam Lawrence


Welcome Ben Jackson and Sam Lawrence!

Tell us a little about yourself

Hi, thanks for interviewing us! My name is Ben Jackson, and my wife’s name is Sam Lawrence. We write a variety of fiction and non-fiction books but are focusing on children’s books. We live in a long-distance relationship, I’m from Australia, and my wife is from Canada. We both travel a lot during the year between our two countries and have four children.


Wow talent seems to abound in your family!  That seems like so much fun, getting to work with your wife doing something you love.  What got you into writing?
I have always enjoyed reading, and my wife works as a publisher/formatter, managing our own company Indie Publishing Group! I think it was a natural progression from reading to writing. The children’s books we write are fun and enjoyable and help to encourage children to read and enjoy reading,


The Indie Publishing Group contains a lot of great information for authors.  I would recommend everyone checking it out.  When you read which do you prefer: print books or eBooks?

I love print books. My wife enjoys both, but I find it hard to concentrate on eBooks. I like the smell and feel of a paperback book in my hands and enjoy shopping at book fairs and markets.

I love print books to, but do enjoy the convenience when traveling of being able to read on a tablet. If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go and why?

We are lucky enough to travel a lot! We travel throughout Canada, Australia, and North America on a regular basis. We both want to travel around Asia and Europe more.

Traveling is so much fun.  I look forward to traveling more.  So far it's been Mexico and the US for me.  I hope to have Italy under my belt soon.  Currently, what are you working on?

We just finished our latest children’s book: The Day My Fart Followed Me To The Dentist! I’m terrified of the dentist and wanted to write a book which makes visiting the dentist a little less terrifying.

I know the feeling.  I finally found a dentist I love and so my fear has eased. Tell us a little bit about your main characters.

Our main characters are Timmy and the Little Fart. Timmy is a young boy, and the Little Fart is his imaginary friend, a little fart! They go on adventures together and get up to a lot of mischief.

How do you promote your books? Any tips you can share?

We promote a lot on social media. Facebook, Twitter, Tumbler, etc. but have also focused a lot on blogs and interviews. I think the tip is just to jump in. You don’t need to spend a lot of money, but you do need to put in some serious hours if you’re doing it all yourself.

Yes I agree.  I have also found I have had better luck with the free promotions than the ones I have spent money on.  Is this a stand-alone novel or part of a series?

We have a series based around Timmy and the Little Fart. We have a book about hockey, soccer, Christmas, the dentist and have many more books planned for the series.

Can you tell us what brought about the idea for your book?

We were both sitting around one night and watching television. I started coming up with stupid and crazy ideas for children’s book, and the Little Fart was born.

It's always amazing where great ideas can come from.  Sometimes without even really thinking something great can take shape. What is your writing process like?  Do you have a routine?

I have a pretty terrible writing routine. I like to watch tv and movies, Netflix, etc. and sometimes end up watching hours without accomplishing anything! I like to enjoy what I’m doing. If I locked myself away I would get more done, but if I’m not enjoying it, what’s the point?

I actually do something similar.  I like some background noise, whether its good music or a tv show on in the background.  What advice would you give someone who is considering publishing? Should they consider traditional or self-publishing?


I have never traditionally published anything, so that’s hard to recommend. Self-publishing isn’t easy and requires a lot of research, time, and effort, but it doesn’t need to be impossible or expensive. If something doesn’t work, look at why and then try again. Don’t give up! 

Thanks so much for being on with us today!  Don't forget to check out Timmy and the Little Fart.
Happy Reading!!





Ben Jackson Social Media Links


Ben Jackson Author Bio
Ben lives in Tasmania, Australia. While working during the week as a Boiler Maker/Welder, specializing in Aluminum Welding, he also writes of a night as a Freelance Writer and Author.

Ben is in a Long-Distance Relationship with his wife Sam, who lives in Canada, she works as a full-time formatting professional, publisher, and author.

Be sure to check out all his books, there is definitely something there for everyone!

As Indie Authors, we rely on our valuable customers to write a review, if you could spare a minute to leave a review of one of our books, we would greatly appreciate it.

He has numerous books in progress so stay tuned for information on those by following this page, connecting with him on Facebook or Goodreads.

Remember, if you enjoyed one of his books, leave a review!

Book Links
The Day My Fart Followed Me To The Dentist
Amazon US link
Amazon UK link

The Day My Fart Followed Me To The Dentist
Timmy and his best friend the Little Fart are back again in The Day My Fart Followed Me To The Dentist! In this beautifully illustrated children’s book you’ll experience Timmy’s first visit to the dentist, losing a tooth, and a visit from the Tooth Fairy.

No child loves the thought of a visit to the dentist. In The Day My Fart Followed Me To The Dentist, Timmy takes a trip to the dentist with his best, and imaginary, friend the Little Fart. Timmy needs to have a tooth removed and then needs to help to try and explain the Tooth Fairy to the Little Fart.

Whenever the Little Fart is involved, hilarity and mischievousness are sure to follow! The authors decided to publish this book to try and help parents and dentists show that the dentist doesn’t have to be a bad experience. In the end, there is always the reward of receiving a visit by the magical and beautiful Tooth Fairy.

If you enjoy reading funny books with beautiful illustrations and love having your child read along with you, then make sure you grab The Day My Fart Followed Me To The Dentist! Discover and giggle along with Timmy, and the Little Fart on their exciting day at the dentist.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for having us on your blog Sarah :) Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete