Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Interview with Amanda A. Brooks author of the Brides of Diablo Series



Welcome Amanda!  Thanks for taking the time to join us today. Tell us a little about yourself.

Amanda A. Brooks has been writing romance novels since the age of fourteen. In 2009, she decided to self-publish. Never without a book in her hand or bag, Amanda is an avid reader of romance and true crime (especially of stories from the 1960's). She is always thinking of unique ideas for her stories. Amanda resides in Southern California.

What got you into writing, Amanda?

My love for writing started at the age of fourteen. One of my high school teachers was late for class. When I reached into my bag to pull out my book to read, I discovered that I had left it at home. Frustrated, I opened my notebook to a blank piece of paper, and after thinking, "I can just write my own stories.", I did. I haven't stopped writing since.

Share a short excerpt from your novel.

Paul just stared down at Hazel for a long moment before softly saying, “I never meant for any of this to happen, Hazel.”

 Staring incredulously up at Mr. Ryder, Hazel asked, “You never meant for any of this to happen? You betrayed me!”

 Paul just stared down at Hazel for another long moment before quietly explaining, “My signing your hanging date document was an accident, Hazel. April forced me to sign it without reading it first.”

 Still staring incredulously up at Mr. Ryder, Hazel asked, “April forced you to sign my hanging date document without reading it first?” And then, slowly standing, she asked, “What hold does she have on you?” When he didn’t answer her, she asked, “Are you sleeping with her?” When he still didn’t answer her, she glared up at him once again, and exclaimed, “Go to hell, Mr. Ryder!” 

 And then, walking towards him, she slapped him hard across the face.

Which do you prefer: print books or ebooks?

While I fought e-books at first since I love holding a physical book in my hands, I realized that I would reach/get more readers. Now I love them!

I definitely think ebooks offer great value and reach so many more people.  But I still love to have a book in my hand.


Amanda, currently, what are you working on?

I am currently working on BOOK 8 - BRIDES OF DIABLO:  NAUGHTY ANGEL - WILLA. It's about a woman whose prejudice against and hatred for Indians is tested when she's captured by one. Will she allow herself to fall in love with him?

Tell us a little bit about your main characters.

In the book that I just released on August 16th - BOOK 7 - BRIDES OF DIABLO:  PRISONERS OF LOVE - HAZEL - I wanted to write about the love that a Prison Warden has for one of his prisoners. Would it be enough to save her from her fate, and would he be willing to give up his job for her? The hero is Paul Ryder and the heroine is Hazel Haddon. I especially love that Paul doesn't judge Hazel.

How did you decide on what to title each book?

I don't know what was more fun - titling my books or naming my heroines. Both are like naming your kids - which I don't have. You want/have to pick the perfect one. I usually pick the names first, then the titles. Once I do both, I then come up with the plot. With PRISONERS OF LOVE, it was because both Hazel and Paul were trapped in their Prison surrounding. With NAUGHTY ANGEL, not only does Willa have a naughty side, she was a nurse - an Angel - during the Civil War.


I agree naming characters is so much fun.  Titles are a little more tricky for me, since they embody the whole story.  Amanda, how do you promote your books? 
I just promote them on Facebook and Twitter and LinkedIn. And I recently joined Instagram - which is only for Book Promotion purposes. It's OK to self-promote. No one else will do it for you, and no one else will do it the way you want it done.

Those are all great places to start, I also recommend Goodreads.  Is this a stand-alone novel or part of a series?
PRISONERS OF LOVE - HAZEL is BOOK 7 of my BRIDES OF DIABLO Series. It's a twelve-book Series.

Wow that is ambitious!  12 books I think 3 is my limit.  What is the easiest part of the writing process?  What is the hardest?

Easy - Writing
Hard - Editing. I only do one round - a risk. It's not really about the Editing, but about the constant interruptions of life.

 I could never do that.  I need an editor, my grammar just isn't up to snuff. What was your biggest challenge when writing? Did you have any writer’s block?  If so, how did you work your way through it?

My serious Writer's Block brought about my previous Western Romance Series THUNDER MOUNTAIN BRIDES and this Series - BRIDES OF DIABLO. I used to write Darker Historical Romances. One day, I just wasn't happy or something, and couldn't write anymore. And then, I went to see HIGH NOON on the big screen, and my life - and writing path - changed forever!

That's great.  I am not sure I could just jump genres like that.  I am trying, but it is a little harder than I thought.  What are your hobbies aside from writing, if any?

I don't set aside chunks of time to write. Sometimes, writing is done for an hour or more. Sometimes, writing is done for a few minutes. I've even written on my iPhone Notepad when out, and later transferred it to my Word document. I can even write while listening to music. Once I start Final Editing (one round) that's when I need complete silence!


What advice would you give someone who is considering publishing? Should they consider traditional or self-publishing?

Self-Publishing is the only way to go! You have Total Control over your words (your Heart and Soul) and your Sales! Not to mention your covers! CreateSpace lets you publish on Amazon - A Dream Come True! 

Amanda, any last words you'd like to share with us?

Your writing is about your Heart and Soul - not your bank account!

Totally agree, if you are in it for the latter you will probably end up being disappointed.  It takes time to grow a following and get your book out there.  Thanks for joining us.  Happy Reading !!



Links to Books, website, fb page, social media accounts, cover designer (if applicable). 
My books (Paperback and e-book) can be ordered at Amazon.com/author/aab

My Facebook pages for my Series are Thunder Mountain Brides by Amanda A. Brooks and Brides Of Diablo by Amanda A. Brooks

Instagram - wildwestaab

Twitter - augustblue

The THUNDER MOUNTAIN BRIDES Series:

1)The Outlaw Schoolteacher - Edith - December 8, 2010
2)Hidden Secrets - Agnes - June 26, 2011
3)The Devil And The Lord - Danny - May 25, 2012
4)Forbidden Love - Marjorie - March 22, 2013
5)Be Wild My Little Child - Pamela - September 19, 2013
6)Complicated - Marta - February 13, 2014
7)The Rose And The Thorn - Julia - March 11, 2014
8)Who Wants To Live Forever - Eva - May 16, 2014
9)Deadly Love - Callie - October 14, 2014
10)In Name Only - Liza - December 22, 2014

The BRIDES OF DIABLO Series:

1)Stolen Hearts - Eustacia - June 3, 2015
2)The Deserter - Dorcas - November 24, 2015
3)Destined For Love - Bailey - February 10, 2016
4)Bribed By Love - Shelby - September 22, 2016
5)Harbored Love - Helen - January 9, 2017
6)Northern Exposure - Frances - April 6, 2017
7)Prisoners Of Love - Hazel - August 16, 2017
8)Naughty Angel - Willa -
9)Captured Love - Constance -
10)Unlawful Love - Mabel -
11)Caught In The Middle - Ada -
12)Running From Love - Myra -



1 comment:

  1. It looks like a few questions/answers were deleted. One question not answered was about my other hobbies when not writing.

    I am an avid movie lover - I have an extensive DVD collection. I also listen to music - my music loves being 50's and 60's music, Showtunes, Frances Ruffelle, Dixie Chicks, Natalie Maines, Court Yard Hounds, and Country.

    ReplyDelete