Friday, June 8, 2018

Interview with Illustrator Aaron Humphres




Today let's welcome Aaron Humphres, please tell us a little about yourself. 

I am an illustrator living in Vancouver, WA. I really started getting into illustration after my father passed away when I was 12 years old. My first love is comic book art and I have illustrated a few comic books over my career that I have self-published. Nothing big, but they were fun. Right now I am finishing up a graphic novel called Godlings.

Two years ago I had an idea for a children’s book and created my first book entitled “Rosco: Alien Wildlife Photographer”. This book got published by Action Lab Comics in December 2017. In addition to Godlings I am also finishing up my second children’s book. 


Aaron, if there was one thing you wished author’s knew about illustrating what would it be?

I am not sure I could answer this question honestly. I write and illustrate every book that I make. I have never professionally worked with an author before. I would be interested if the write story came around though.





What do you typically charge per illustration?

My other job besides illustrating my children’s books is storyboard for Motion Graphic Videos. I have been doing this for about 8 years now. Most times I am working for a writer that pays me a flat fee for my work or in the case of my previous job a salary. So I’m still new to pricing for a client on a picture per picture basis.



What has been your favorite project to work on so far?

I feel my favorite project to work on so far has been my Rosco book, but my new book is a very close second. My Godlings project is my passion project and most clearly reflects me as a person. Godlings covers a lot of topics I am interested in like the philosophy of Fate versus Determinism and sci-fi and fantasy ideas. Truth be told, I love every project I work on because they are all mine and personal to me in that regard. 



What is your preferred method to illustrate in?  Digital? Pencils? Watercolor?

I prefer to work analog as much as possible. I start all my drawings in pencil on Bristol. Then I ink them with a Sable #2 Brush. The final part is scanning them into the computer and adding color. So I produce all the lines traditionally and the colors digitally. I have been working this way for the past 25 years. I do use Adobe Illustrator to develop vectored artwork for motion graphics projects.

Any last words?

I have been working my artwork for a most of my life and I could not think of my life without my artwork to carry me through. I hope my illustrations and stories convey the sincere passion I put into every line stroke I use to make them.





Be sure to check out Aaron at the sights below. Happy Reading!!
Website

Find me on Instagram under Aaron Humphres

Twitter Aaron Humphres@HumphresAaron

Facebook under Aaron Humphres


No comments:

Post a Comment