Monday, March 12, 2018

Intrerview with Illustrator Sanghamitra Dasgupta



Sanghamitra, thanks for taking the time to talk with us today. What made you want to be an illustrator?

I started my painting when I was like at the age of 5. From that time my dad inspired me to draw cartoons, designs, sceneries etc etc. When the days past and I was in school, I always participate in the school drawing magazine competition. My friends and teachers always inspired me. But I came in serious business after doing my Masters. I got an admission in APTECH. From that time the journey of an illustrator starts. And now I am a professional illustrator working with authors,and monthly kids magazine. And recently I just launched my own books also. So it’s a long 26years of journey and I learnt so much from them.

How long does it typically take for you to complete one color illustration of a book?

It really depends on the style, So cant say the exact. But if you ask for my personal illustrations, I can do it within a day,as I have that clear concept.


What tips would you give a new illustrator starting out?

Those who are going to be a new illustrator, I just want to say just be normal, and try to understand the storyline/subject/clients need of illustration. Always be creative. And a clear discuss the topic with your client. When to start a new illustration at first you have to draw a rough with the primary color. If you are satisfied with the output then you can start the final one.


Sanghamitra, what warnings could you give an author looking for a new illustrator?

I think there are lots of suggestions instead of warnings. Always try to be friendly and talk a lot with your illustrator. Clearout your concept to him/her so that the illustrator could understand what type of illustration you actually want. Always clear out the timing and payment and as well as for the agreement process. The best way to search an illustrator is from the freelancer sites. You can release the payment once your project is done by him/her.


When an author contracts with you, do they own exclusive rights to the images, or

does that have to be purchased separately?

When an author contracts me whatever images I made or use, I give them all, but I can request a permission to use some images on my website also.


Do Illustrators offer revisions of their work?

I cant say about others but yes sometimes I offer. At first I always show the ink part to my client if he/she is ok and give me permission for the coloring and after the coloring process done, then the client is asking for change in any composition it is impossible to change the ink part, we can change only for coloring. But I give that service where I can make an alternate composition for my client as per their new guidelines.  This is why my services are always different and peoples love to work with me. But clients have to understand that an illustrator is putting a lot of their mind in one work.


Any last words?

I am that person who is good at thinking out of box. So work with me and see the ideas come into life.

Check out more of Sanghamitra's work at the sites below.  Happy Reading!!

The best place where I am more active with my works- www.instagram.com/creative_art_shoppee__/

Put all you social media and contact info here





                      https://www.facebook.com/CreativeArtShoppe/







No comments:

Post a Comment