Friday, March 23, 2018

Interview with C.M. Huddleston author of Greg's Adventure in Time Series






Today I'd like to introduce author Connie Huddleston.

Connie  M. Huddleston loves history and dreamed of writing a book even as a child. However, she got sidetracked. She became an Army wife, a mother, an elementary school teacher, an archaeologist, and an historic preservation consultant, before publishing her first book!  In 2017, she published her ninth and tenth volumes, all dealing with her first love, our nation’s past. While four are written for children under the name C.M. Huddleston, her other works are histories for adults on a variety of subjects.

Connie resides in a log cabin near Crab Orchard, Kentucky, with her husband and their Australian Shepherd Katie. They all enjoy the quiet of rural Kentucky. Except when Katie barks at deer, turkeys, and of course, the UPS truck!

            Connie has written three fiction books under the name C.M. Huddleston and six adult history volumes under her full name.  In 2017, she compiled a children’s anthology with eight other authors, to which she contributed two short stories.



Thanks for taking the time to share with us today, Connie. What brought about the idea for your first book?

I wrote my first book while out of work as an archaeologist. I wanted to tell children about archaeology and prehistory. I finished the book and submitted it to about 15 publishers before finding a new position. I received rejections, shelved the copy, and forgot about it for 20 years. Only after my daughter self-published her book, did I think of looking at it again. It was awful! The main character Greg was one dimensional, to say the least.  I spent about six months rewriting and rewriting, found two editors, and self-published it as “Greg’s First Adventure in Time.”  The following year, 2016, the book received a gold medal from Literary Classics (www.clcawards.org) I also published the second in the series, which won a gold medal in 2017! I have published the third in the series and am currently writing “Greg’s Fourth Adventure in Time.”


What kind of research do you do before you start a new novel?

Being an archaeologist and historian by trade, I try to make all history in my books as accurate as possible. For Greg’s First, I wrote from my archaeological experiences. For “Greg’s Second Adventure in Time,” I read five books on the life of Daniel Boone and more than five on the early settlements in Kentucky. When Greg time-travels to Kentucky in 1778, I wanted him to encounter real people and experience real events. Currently, I am reading my fifth book to research for Greg’s Fourth.

It's amazing how much research it can take to write a book. Tell us a little bit about your main characters

Greg’s personality is based on my two grandsons. Both are very intelligent, but a bit socially awkward. The youngest talks constantly! (I really do mean constantly!) The oldest is very sensitive. By combining the two boys, I created a sensitive young man, who talks when nervous and becomes silent when worried or afraid. I also made Greg an avid reader, as both my grandsons love to read. In the third book, a girl named Rose becomes a major character, after having bit parts in the first two books. She provides Greg with a time-travel companion, but adds that feminine touch. As the first two books are written in first person by Greg, I have Rose write whole chapters of the third book.

Connie, what are you currently working on?

            I am working hard on “Greg’s Fourth Adventure in Time” but getting ready to launch my first teen/adult fiction book, entitled “Leah’s Story.” Leah’s is the story o a slave born on a southern plantation, and in the book relates her life from slavery to emancipation to an unidentified person. The events in the book are based on my archaeological work on Southern plantations, in particular “slave rows,” and the WPA Slave Narratives recorded by historians during the Great Depression. The book could be read by most middle-grade readers, but is directed more toward teens and adults.

Congratulations!  It's so exciting every time a new book is getting released.  What has been the best compliment you have received?

            Realistically, my best compliment would be my two gold medals. However, after the release my first volume, my daughter recommended the book to her best friend’s children.  Teresa and Joseph, mother and son, were reading together, one chapter each night. Joseph was very hesitant as he “didn’t want to read a book written by someone’s grandmother.” After reading the first chapter, he asked, “can we read another chapter?” “So you liked it?” his mother asked. Joseph replied, “well, it’s not awful.”  What better praise can an author get!?!

That's too cute! Yes if they keep reading I'd call that a win. What has been the most difficult thing you have struggled with since you began a career in writing?

            Marketing. As a self-published author, I have to do everything myself, especially as I don’t have money to spend on agencies to do it for me.  I have had to learn, read, experiment, and on, and on, and on.  I hate it. It takes up too much of my time.

Who designed the artwork for your cover? Or did you do it yourself?

            I did my first two covers myself. Then I saw my first cover on a website for the worst book covers ever.  I immediately began looking for a professional designer and found Jeanine Henning (http://www.jeaninehenning.com/).  She does the covers for all of my Greg books. I did do the cover design for “Leah’s Story” and my beta readers and reviewer’s comments have been positive.



Sometime all we need is a little practice. Do you have people read your drafts before you publish? How do you select beta readers?

            I usually work with two editors. One who gives me an initial appraisal while the second works with me on typos, etc. I always use beta readers. I used four for “Leah’s Story.” Some are also authors, while another is a librarian.  My mother also reads all my books before they are published. She is very supportive and usually has questions about the plot and characters.



How many times do you think you read your book before going to print?

            I have an unusual way of writing. I begin each day by reading/correcting/re-writing all the work I have already done on the manuscript. This helps me find plot flaws, etc. Then I begin my writing for the day.  As the book grows in length, I may begin only three chapters before where I am working.  So this means that by the time I finish the draft, I have already read the book about 20 times.  I then send it out to one or two first readers. Then after revisions, I read the book aloud, sometimes with a partner if one is available.  I then send it for editing. After more revision I read it aloud at least two more times before it goes to beta readers. My daughter, the author, codes my ebooks so she reads it.  I then usually read it one more time. So what is the answer?  About 20 to 30 times.







Thanks for sharing with us.  Be Sure to check out Connie's amazing books.  Happy Reading!!

Excerpts can be found at: http://cmhuddleston.com/childrens-books.html

Lesson plans for each Greg book can be found at: http://cmhuddleston.com/lesson-plans.html



Twitter: @MM_Indie

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/9860539.Connie_M_Huddleston


No comments:

Post a Comment