Friday, March 2, 2018

Interview with Julie Spencer author of Buxton Peak The Early Years




Today I'd like to welcome Julie Spencer! Tell us a little about yourself. 



Greetings from the geographic center of Michigan (there’s a sign and everything!).



I write New Adult Clean Contemporary General Fiction with a Christian twist, the most narrow, barely-existent genre that really only exists in my warped little world.



I am regularly accused of being a machine who doesn’t sleep, a side-effect from having bipolar disorder - but I’m well-medicated, so it’s okay.



I write almost constantly and usually have half a dozen works-in-progress at any given time. I have eight books available on Amazon, one more that is in the final stages of editing, and several more that are ‘close’ to being done.



In my spare time I work a full time job as the Administrator of the Gratiot (County) Conservation District helping people with natural resource concerns (such as soil erosion/sedimentation, watershed management planning, pollution prevention, computer mapping, and wildlife habitat restoration).



I’m also a wife and mother to two teenagers and one married daughter who is in graduate school. I teach Sunday school, read avidly, blog, write book reviews, and one of my strange bucket list items includes going on a tornado chase.



There, now you know how strange I am! Let’s rock! –Julie L. Spencer





Will you share a short excerpt from your novel with us.



“What instrument would you like to play today?” Mr. Hayworth asked Ian as he walked into class.

“I’m feeling the snare drum,” Ian replied, rubbing his chin as if contemplating.

“Oh good, you can help our new kid learn the ropes.”

Ian turned toward the back of the room where Gary poked around in the percussion section. “It’s Gary.”

“Great! You’ve already met.” Mr. Hayworth clapped him on the shoulder, effectively nudging Ian in the direction of the drums.

Ian approached the back of the room, apprising Gary as he did. The kid’s sullen expression, and the way his dark brown hair hung low over his eyes, hinted at a troubled past. But Ian wasn’t concerned about his mysterious new pal. He wanted to know the important details. “How long you been playing?”

Gary startled, but he regarded Ian. “Since I can remember. You?”

“I don’t know.” Ian sauntered around a snare drum and picked up a set of sticks. “…A while…” Ian twirled one of the sticks in his right hand, challenging Gary with his eyes and a tiny smirk.

Gary answered Ian’s smirk with narrowed eyes and stepped around the opposite snare. He didn’t bother with the sticks next to the drum, but pulled his own set out of his jacket pocket. They were beautiful, with just the right amount of wear but none of the dents and scratches of the practice sticks. Ian gulped, envious of his new dueler.

“You first,” Gary said.

Ian didn’t even think as his sticks flew in an intricate rhythm he was sure could never be matched. He never broke eye contact with Gary.

He played for a full minute before stopping, expertly crisscrossing the sticks and holding them steady.

Gary held Ian’s eyes and copied the complicated pattern of beats as if they’d been laid out in front of him on a sheet of music. He ended in a similar manner and raised his eyebrows.

“You go first this time,” Ian said.

They still hadn’t broken eye contact. Ian sensed they’d drawn the attention of other students in the band room. Gary changed up the rhythm and added some complexity, challenging Ian to rise to his level. Ian held his own as he copied Gary’s pattern.

When he was nearly finished, Ian nodded just slightly in invitation, and Gary’s sticks flew along with Ian’s almost as if they were copying each other in perfect synchronicity. It only took a few seconds to realize they were playing the drum solo from Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N’ Roses. It was just simple enough to be an easy duel for the talented young drummers, but complex enough to be quite impressive to their growing audience. They played through to the end of the solo, and Ian reached over and rolled a simple crescendo on the cymbal.

The entire band room erupted in applause, and amidst the chaos, Ian and Gary reached across and shook one another’s hands. Their smirks had become full grins. He wrapped his arm around Gary’s shoulder and turned to Kai, who stood beside Andy. An unspoken understanding sparked in their eyes. The four young men regarded one another. Something big shifted in Ian’s life.  “Mates, I’ve got a brilliant idea.”



What brought about the idea for this book?



My world is strongly influenced by music and I love listening to music almost as much as I love reading. I remember the day Buxton Peak sprang to life was the day I woke early and drove to Target to buy the special edition copy of One Direction’s CD called Made in the A.M. The version I purchase had a large photo of Niall Horan and I looked into his eyes and saw Ian Taylor. Ian’s story started swirling around in my brain and I went home and typed feverishly for weeks trying to get his story out of my head and into my computer. His story became an epic collection of interwoven tales of him and his three best mates, then eventually the women they love and marry, as well as new characters who enter their lives later in the series. The final collection will be close to 200,000 words!



Currently, what are you working on?



Buxton Peak: London Bridges is in the final editing stages and should be published sometime in March of 2018. This novella is a spinoff from the original trilogy and a bridge between books two and three, featuring a couple of the minor characters from the rest of the series. I’m also working on pulling together Buxton Peak: The Complete Collection which will feature enough bonus material to fill another whole novella, if the material were in chronological order. There are many other projects on my horizon that have nothing to do with the Buxton Peak series, including two romantic comedies, several children’s stories, a few more serious adult stories, and several non-fiction projects. I’d say “One thing at a time,” but it’s usually several irons in the fire all at the same time and I work on whichever project fits my mood on a particular day. I now have eight books on my shelf with my name on them, so it must be working for me.





Tell us a little bit about your main characters



Ian Taylor is the main character in my Buxton Peak series. He was a child prodigy and devoted musician who started a rock band, called Buxton Peak, with his three best friends. He wasn’t prepared for the negative lifestyle into which he was thrust as the rocketed to stardom. His mates got caught up in the party scene and Ian felt powerless to stop them. As he grew up Ian felt God calling him to serve as a missionary and he stepped away from his music for two years. His absence tore apart the band, and the guys were devastated. They all grew up in those two years and the dynamic of the band was changed. It took a lot of effort to pull things back together, and the guys had to learn to love each other through all their faults.



What has been the best compliment you have received?



From one of my reviews on Amazon for my novel, The Cove: “It's rare that a book surprises me but this one did. All my predictions for how this story would go turned out to be wrong. Some very unexpected twists and turns kept me turning the pages.”



kThat's a great one. I don't like being predictable so I love to hear about it when I surprise the reader. Julie, what kind of research do you do before you start a new story?



I don’t usually do research ‘before’ I start a story. I usually have a dream or an idea and then I start writing. Eventually I run into a challenge and I mostly use Google to find the answers. I particularly love Google Maps. If I think I know where I want my characters to go, I start searching that area of the map. I usually find cool restaurants and hotels and resorts and recreational activities, places to go rock climbing or walk on the beach. Sometimes searching on Google Maps takes my story in an entirely new direction – no pun intended. Okay, maybe a little pun intended. Google Maps also has reviews for just about everything and I ‘borrow’ the words of the reviews. That restaurant had “The best lentil soup I’ve ever eaten!” or “That place was a dive! The hotel rooms were filthy and there was no free Wifi.” I also use YouTube videos to do research. Through YouTube I’ve been backstage at concerts, learned to surf, and toured London.  



I wonder what authors did before the internet.  We have such fantastic resources at our fingertips. Do you have people read your drafts before you publish?  How do you select beta readers?



I believe in having as many people read my stories as possible. Everyone who reads them picks up something different. I also don’t believe in a ‘rough draft’. If a beta reader finds a typo or missing word or wrong comma placement, I appreciate knowing that. I know a lot of authors think just the opposite. They don’t wants edits or proofreading until they are completely done making changes because the text ‘might’ get taken out so there’s no reason to edit during the draft stage. I’ve seen those same authors get hounded in Amazon reviews by readers who found obvious typos. As far as where I find my beta readers, I’d say: anywhere! I have a few key critique groups where I regularly interact such as LDS Beta Readers, Christian Women Critique Partners and Beta Readers, Clean Indie Reads, Indie Author Hub, my street team, and friends & family. Anyone who will sit down long enough to read my story is graciously welcomed.





Julie, how do you handle criticism when it comes to your writing?



I’ve had some seriously harsh critique at times including “I hate your main character,” to “You story has no structure,” and everything in between. I have grown duck feathers and let them roll off my back. Almost every harsh criticism from a beta reader has helped me to become a better writer.



It can be hard sometimes, we just have to remember we can't please everyone. I love getting the harsh critiques from my beta readers. That's when their is still time to make changes and see if their is merit to their feedback. It's a lot harder though when it comes from readers. Is there something you learned from writing your first book?



The cover is almost the most difficult, yet most important aspect of publishing. I had a vision of a beautiful lake for the cover of my first novel because it was called The Cove. But that didn’t accurately portray the story. It’s a love story. When I met a lady who is now my critique partner and cover designer, she gave me some suggestions and then designed me a completely new cover. It’s beautiful. I almost cried when I first saw it. I sold a lot more copies after I put on the new cover.



 It's amazing what the right cover can do! I had the same experience when I changed the cover to The Portal Keeper.  Julie thanks for stopping by and sharing with us.  Be sure to check out Buxton Peak and learn more about Julie at the links below.  Happy Reading!!


Twitter account: @juliespencer98



























Email: juliespencer1998@gmail.com










No comments:

Post a Comment