Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Interview with Linda Rawlins author of Misty Point Mystery Series




Thanks so much for being here with us today Linda.  Why don't you start by telling us a little about yourself.

Hi, my name is Linda Rawlins. I am a fiction writer of cozy mystery (Misty Point Mystery Series) and cozy religious mysteries (Rocky Meadow Mystery Series). I was born and raised in New Jersey, which boasts beautiful mountains and gorgeous beaches.  

I work in Healthcare during the day and write at night.

When did you start writing?

I’ve always enjoyed reading and storytelling. I started writing my first novel in fifth grade. I had finished all the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boy mysteries and I wanted to write my own. I wrote three chapters and never finished and I wish, to this day, I had saved those three chapters. I would love to see what I wrote in grade school. I wrote various poems and short stories in high school, but I didn’t start my next novel until 2010. My first novel, The Bench, was published in 2011.
I was lucky enough to have someone from Penguin read my first book and encourage me to keep writing as well as learning and practicing my craft. We are always improving. 

My favorite genre is mystery fiction, but also many other types of fiction. I enjoy reading for escape.

Linda, can you share with us a little about your writing process?

I try to write on a steady daily basis with a target of 1000 words/day or 5000 words/week. I normally write early in the morning, approximately 4am or after work/dinner. I have a vague idea of the beginning and end of my proposed novel but I depend on the characters to get me from one end to the other.
My characters are very special to me and are usually reflective of people I have met throughout my life. Occasionally, one character may be a combination of several people. I try to include all the normal emotions they would feel or experience as my story unfolds. My characters have experienced anxiety, depression, and fear but also friendship, joy and love. My novels revolve around situations in which my characters find themselves, so my novels are character driven.

4 am!  Wow that is early, and dedicated.  Can you tell us a little about both of your series?

My first series takes place in a remote location in Vermont. The protagonists are a doctor and a priest who solve mysteries. I love mountains, woods, hiking and nature. I love being able to commune with the natural world around me and get away from the busy pace found in the NY/NJ area. Camp fires at night, the scent of fresh pine, a delicious cup of coffee, and hiking in the woods, preferably near a waterfall or beautiful lake.
My second series takes place at the Jersey Shore. A young woman returns home to take care of her dying grandmother and her childhood Grand Victorian home. She finds many mysteries and secrets and begins to unravel them all.

Who are some of your favorite authors to read?

Some of my favorite authors are Fern Michaels, J A Jance, Dean Koontz, James Patterson, Mary Higgins Clark, Michael Palmer, Harlen Coban, and others.


I can see why you'd like those.  Those are such talented authors.  Tell us a little about your books.

My first book is The Bench –
Rocky Meadow, Vermont, seemed to be a quiet little town until people started dying or showing up in the emergency room under mysterious circumstances. Dr. Amy Daniels is a trauma surgeon, who recently moved to Rocky Meadow after a family tragedy. There she meets Father Michael Lauretta, a psychologist priest who counsels troubled clergy and pastor of the famous Rocky Meadow Retreat House. Together, they save lives and souls and try to solve a mystery before they become the next target of a greedy killer. Will they be able to put a stop to this deadly rampage? The unexpected conclusion awaits in The Bench. 

The Bench
by Linda Rawlins

The Bench
 
by Linda Rawlins 
Link


My second book of the Rocky Meadow Mystery Series is Fatal Breach - Acting medical examiner, Dr. Amy Daniels and Father Michael Lauretta become entangled in murder at the local soup kitchen in Burlington, Vermont. As their intricate relationship develops, they are drawn into a sinister plot as FBI Special Agent Marcus Cain pursues a deadly internet activist group, known as Shepherd Force. They soon learn, the cybercrime organization will stop at nothing to retrieve an illegal flash drive worth millions of dollars.

Fatal Breach (Rocky Meadow Mysteries Book 2)
by Linda Rawlins
Link

The third book in the Rocky Meadow Mystery Series is Sacred Gold - An old journal, revealing hidden treasure at St. Francis Church, falls into the hands of acting medical examiner, Dr. Amy Daniels, and tests her faith in life, love, and trust. With the help of the church pastor, Father Michael Lauretta, they try to solve the century-old mystery. Before long, the two find themselves in the company of a trained Italian curator, desperate to ward off her greedy, possessive boss, who follows her to Vermont and intends to steal the treasure. Against the backdrop of snowy Rocky Meadow, Vermont, bustling during the Christmas holidays, the remainder of the St. Francis family try to secure a new soup kitchen, only to find charity cannot escape tragedy. When arson and murder, at the local nursing home, lead to a dark, dangerous chase in the catacombs of the church, they all join together to follow age-old clues and find Sacred Gold, before the treasure and more lives are lost forever.

Sacred Gold (Rocky Meadow Mysteries Book 3)
by Linda Rawlins et al.
Link


The three books from this series can be found on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other places.

Misty Manor was published in May 2016 and is the first book of the Misty Point Mystery series which takes place at the NJ Shore. The beaches there are beautiful with some very special homes in the Grand Victorian Style. Some were originally built over 100 years ago and have significant historical value.
Misty Manor - Three years have passed since Hurricane Sandy devastated the New Jersey Shore as Megan Stanford returns to her childhood home to find her elderly grandmother and the family Grand Victorian home in a state of shocking neglect. As the town threatens to sue to ensure demolition of the guest cottages behind Misty Manor, mystery unfolds in the once quiet town of Misty Point, NJ. A dead body found in the debris, threatening messages, and vandalism, combined with an eerie sixty year old photograph, bring the investigation closer to home. Megan continues to dig for the truth and unwittingly begins to unravel a decades old secret, which threatens her and the future of Misty Manor.

Misty Manor
by Linda Rawlins
Link



The second book in the Misty Point Mystery Series (and my fifth book overall) is Misty Point which was recently published in May 2017.


Still reeling from her grandmother’s death, Megan Stanford is shocked when her father, Dean, returns to Misty Manor with real estate developer, Randall Douglas. As Randall’s business partner, wife and assistant arrive shortly thereafter, it becomes clear he intends to sell his mother’s estate at all costs. When a body is found floating in the surf, Megan and her friends realize there is more at stake than the Grand Victorian. Can they work to stop a killer before it’s too late? Or will the sale of Misty Manor be the only closure in the books?
Misty Point (Misty Point Mystery Series Book 2)
by Linda Rawlins
Link


I would love for my readers to feel as if they know they know my characters as individuals and relate to them emotionally. It is my hope that my readers would come to care for my characters and want to visit with them often.

As an author who has been at it for a while and has several books under your belt, what have you learned that you can share with us?

I finished my first book in 2011 and have learned so much about being an author since then. I had heard many authors speak in my writing club about how they had been submitting their book for years with no results and they decided to quit writing as a result. Good writers and great books were lost due to lack of response by the publishing industry. I was also told that an indie writer can publish and eventually become an hybrid author with both legacy and self-published titles to their credit therefore I self-published my first book and am glad to say it was a fair experience with over 1000 sales for that book. I was lucky to meet professionals in the publishing industry who encouraged me to continue writing while continuing to learn the trade and network as well.
It’s important to write and craft a good story. The story should be polished with good editing of content, grammar, line and formatting. Beyond that, there are many opportunities for authors to let the world know about their book. Traditional publishers seem to have more connections with book clubs and libraries and having an agent is better when negotiating foreign rights.
However, indie authors have many routes available to them as well as long as they are willing to work at marketing which can be as challenging as writing. Indie writers do well when they network with other authors to compare ideas.

Linda, who designs the covers to your books?

I am very lucky as my son, Matt Liotti, designs my covers. He is a film producer, but also works with indie authors as a publishing partner. Whether it is print or cover design, formatting, marketing or strategy, he is a great help. The author keeps all rights and royalties. He has great packages and can be found at www.riverbenchpublishing.com. If you are an indie author and are looking for help, give him a call. He’s a great guy!

Any last words you'd like to share with us?

The best advice another writer gave me was to do something every day! Write on a steady basis, even if it sounds like dreck! Do one thing to promote yourself every day. Send a letter and bookmarks to a library. Post a photo on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest. Start following Facebook groups for your genre. Enter giveaways on Goodreads and Amazon. Read, read and read more! Network with everyone and never give up your dreams! Build your platform and tribe!

The next book in the Misty series is underway and will hopefully be released in November 2017. In the meantime, enjoy what’s left of the summer! Happy Blessed Reading and See you at the beach! See the links below to connect with me!!

Thanks so much Linda.  Be sure to check her out Linda at any of the great links below!

Website



No comments:

Post a Comment