Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Interview with Tammi J. Truax author of For to See the Elephant







Let's welcome Tammi Truax today. Tammi why don't you begin by telling us a little about yourself?


      I am teacher, historian, writer, and graduate student.


What got you into writing?


      I had / have stories in me that needed to be told.


Tammi if you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go and why?


       Right now Portugal tops my list, but my list is long. I love to travel.


I just had a niece come back from living in Portugal for about 18 months. She said it was beautiful. Currently, what are you working on?


        The second book in a two volume historical novel for adults.


 How did you decide on what to title each book?


        The title of For to See the Elephant were spoken by President George Washington, important both to the story and the time period / setting.


That's interesting. I love learning about history when I read. How do you promote your books? Any tips you can share?


      I’m learning as I go!


Is this a stand-alone novel or part of a series?


      This is a stand alone story.


Tammi, do you have people read your drafts before you publish?  How do you select beta readers?


       Yes, I do. I think it is very important. I don’t so much select them as seek them out.


I agree, I think it is a crucial tool for any writer to use. Who designed the artwork for your cover?  Or did you design it yourself?


      Tom Holbrook, publisher at Piscataqua Press designed it with my input.


What brought about the idea for your book?


     That is a long story in itself. Years ago a woman I was interviewing for my newspaper column mentioned  that long ago an elephant had stopped at her family farm for a drink. I determined to some day get to the bottom of that. Years later, after I’d done some research, I took it on as my NaNoWriMo project.

It's always amazing to me how the simplest things can spark the idea for an entire novel.

SYNOPSIS:

       In the autumn of 1795 on board a ship from Massachusetts an enslaved boy named William finds himself tasked with caring for the first elephant to be brought to America. Upon arrival in the city of New York, he and the elephant are sold together. They walk back and forth across the growing country for years so that everyone may see the elephant. A second elephant and owner replace the first and again William is with the elephant every hour of every day, until she too dies. Now a grown man, William has a fleeting moment to decide if he will remain a bondman, or walk off on his own.

     Told in verse, and incorporating songs, news clippings and diary entries from the period, this novel is a stark, soulful, and surprising portrait of early America and the origins of the American circus.








“Tammi Truax doesn’t flinch from the harsh realities of a boy growing up in a time of slavery or in the lives of elephants forced to live away from their kind on another continent.  But she also shows the beauty found by those who look close into the eye of an elephant, the love an animal and caretaker forge, the occasional kindness of strangers who can see beyond spectacle, and the brief freedom of leaving dusty roads to frolic in ponds.”
Jeannine Atkins, author of Borrowed Names: Poems about Laura Ingalls Wilder, Madam C.J. Walker, and Marie Curie and Their Daughters and Finding Wonders: Three Girls Who Changed Science

Thanks for Sharing with us.  Happy Reading!!

Find out More about Tammi at the links below.

No comments:

Post a Comment