Friday, August 18, 2017

Welcome Laura Kehoe author of Royal Thief




This week we’d like to welcome Laura Kehoe, author of Royal Thief.


Laura, What got you into writing?

I’ve loved making up stories ever since I was a little girl, even before I knew how to write. It was my way to escape into my own little world. Once I figured out how to form coherent sentences and ideas, I just couldn’t stop!

Would you mind Sharing a short excerpt from your novel with us Laura?

Here’s a little bit from the beginning:
She seemed to appear out of nowhere—almost as if she had materialized from the shadows.
           King Osric was used to the woman’s sudden appearances. She’d been paying him visits for nearly a year now. Despite all of his efforts, Osric had yet to learn anything about her—not even the woman’s name. In his mind, he had begun to call her Shadow just so he could have some title for her.
           Shadow bowed her head. “Your Highness. I hope I haven’t woken you.”
           Osric stood, walking out from behind his desk. “What is it? I’m assuming you haven’t come to pay me a social visit.”
           “No, I haven’t,” she said, completely at ease. “But I believe my visit will be equally as enjoyable.”
            “Oh?” He raised an eyebrow.
“I have a bit of information for you,” she explained. “Information that could change the fate of this war.”

Which do you prefer when reading, print books or ebooks?

In general, print books. There is something so magical about printed pages. Although I do appreciate how easy it is to transport books with ereaders, so I have been known to use that as well.

I agree with you.  There is something wonderful about holding a book in your hands.  Laura  have you been given any helpful advice that you can share with us?

One of the most helpful pieces of advice I’ve been given was from my mom, when I told her I wanted to publish my book. She said “If you want to publish, you should do it.” I know that sounds simple on its front, but the idea behind it is what really got me. If something is important to you, don’t just think about doing it. You need to actually do it. Sometimes what you want is scary and seems overwhelming, but you can’t let that stop you from following your dreams.

What are you working on right now?

I’m currently working on the sequel to Royal Thief, called Rebels and Redemption. It’s in the editing stages right now and should be out later this fall!

Can you share a little bit about your main characters with us?

One of the main characters in Royal Thief is Amara, a thief who gets mixed up with a group of rebels working to overthrow their corrupt king. Amara likes to keep to herself and look after her own interests, but when she gets involved with the rebels, her entire life gets turned upside down. Life suddenly seems a lot less clear than it used to be.

How did you decide on what to title each book?

Titles are one of the hardest things for me. It took me a year to finally decide on Royal Thief and even longer to pick Rebels and Redemption for book two. Generally, I like to take important themes and elements in the story and incorporate them into the title to hopefully make something catchy and memorable.


Share something with us not a lot of people know about you.

I intensely dislike raw tomatoes. When they’re cooked, I don’t mind them. But the texture of raw tomatoes just grosses me out.

Isn’t it crazy how different people can be.  I absolutely love tomatoes and slice them and eat them plain! 

How do you promote your books? Any tips you can share?

I use social media a lot to promote my book. Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, and Facebook are great outlets to use. I’ve been able to meet and interact with so many people on those sites, and made some good friends along the way too. My best tip is to keep promoting your book. Post pictures, share excerpts, tell everyone you know you’ve written a book (both online and in person), host giveaways...the more people who see/hear about your book, the more sales you’ll likely get.
  
What is the easiest part of the writing process?  What is the hardest?

The easiest part for me is writing that first draft, where I can just pour out whatever ideas pop into my head without worrying about how it sounds or even if the story makes sense. Then comes the editing, which is a lot harder. But, actually, the hardest part for me is figuring out the best ending for my book. It’s so hard to create a satisfying, memorable ending that feels right.


Do you have people read your drafts before you publish?  How do you select beta readers?

I’m a huge fan of beta readers. Again, social media is a great way to find people willing to read and critique your work. Goodreads has quite a few book groups where authors can connect with critique partners and beta readers. I’ve also participated in National Writing Month and have met some of my beta readers through that as well. A few of my friends and family have read my books as well. Their help has been greatly appreciated too.


What brought about the idea for your book?

So many things inspired Royal Thief: other books I’ve read, people I know/know of, movies/TV shows...and a variety of other things. But two inspirations that stand out to me are the musical Les Miserables and the fantasy novel Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Many of the elements of Royal Thief were inspired by those two.
  
Is there something you learned from writing your first book?

My first book taught me a lot. For one, I learned just how hard it is to write an entire story from start to finish. I discovered how much time and energy you have to devote to creating a novel. My first book also helped me to learn the discipline to write every day (or at least almost every day). It got me into the habit of putting out at least a few sentences every time I sat down, which really helps keep the momentum going and creative juices flowing.


Which is your favorite book?

If we’re talking about books in general, I’m not sure if I can pick one favorite. But some of my top choices are Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan, The Stand by Stephen King, and A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan. There are so many books I love though, so it’s hard to pick!


What advice would you give someone who is considering publishing? Should they consider traditional or self-publishing?

My advice to them is to keep trying and don’t let the difficulties overwhelm you. Writing a book all the way through is hard, but in many ways publishing is even more of a challenge. With so many options and choices, it can feel a bit overwhelming. But don’t lose heart! I went the self-published route with my current book, although that might not be for everyone. Self-publishing can be expensive and time-consuming. But, traditional publishing has its own issues too, as well as numerous benefits. So do your research. Look at the pros and cons of both types of publishing and think about what you’re looking for in your own writing career. There’s no right or wrong answer when it comes to publishing. You just have to decide what feels right for you.


Royal Thief can be purchased here:

Social Media accounts:




No comments:

Post a Comment