Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Interview with Suilyaniz Cintron author of Crying, the nightingale


This week I’d like to welcome Suilyaniz Cintron author of Crying, the nightingale

Suilyaniz, Can you tell us what got you into writing?

  I think I got into writing as a way to escape the world surrounding me. Since I was really little I’ve always had a big imagination and when I was twelve I decided to put that imagination on paper. I started writing short stories about princesses and it evolved from there. Being someone who has been called an old soul, I’ve honestly never felt I belong in the time period I am living in and writing is a way for me to mentally travel to the past which I love so much.

Would you share a short excerpt from your novel with us?
 “Moira…”
 “I thought about breaking my word and not coming… but I didn’t want to leave you waiting here for hours only to be disappointed when I didn’t show.”
She wouldn’t lift her face and when Warren touched her shoulder, she shrugged it off.
“Moira, why won’t you look at me?”
“I can’t Warren” she said putting a hand to her eyes, so he didn’t see the tears forming in them. “Because then we’ll have to part… and I don’t want to.”
“Moira, Vaughn’s not here… don’t be afraid” whispered Warren turning her face towards his. In the light of the lamp posts, he could see tear drops on her cheeks which fell on the collar of her coat and when she lay against his chest, he held her tight, feeling her shoulders tremble.
“Claire told me the reason Grady doesn’t want you to see me, is because he’s jealous… and you’ve refused to be his lover.” “Is this true?”
Moira sniffled and took the handkerchief Warren offered.
“Yes… it’s true.” “Vaughn doesn’t want me to fall in love.” “And that’s why he forbade me to have any contact with you.”
“He’s acting as if you’re his property.”
“If it weren’t for him, I’d be on the street.”
“Don’t you have family Moira, someone to take you in?” asked Warren, and the girl shook her head. “Are you an orphan?”
“I might as well be considering….”
“Considering what?” he said hoping she would finish the sentence.
“It doesn’t matter.”
 “What doesn’t matter?” said Warren and when she didn’t respond, he let out a sigh. “You aren’t ready to talk about your past.”
“Warren… what did Claire tell you, about me?” asked Moira.
“She said you’re lonely and find it hard to trust men,” said Warren lifting his head to the sky.
“But people who feel alone are searching for someone to fill the void.” “I can be that someone.”

When you pick up a book to read, which do you prefer print books or ebooks?
 I prefer print books because I love holding the finished product in my hand, the feel of the pages and adding it to my ever growing collection.

Suilyaniz, writing can be a long process, have you been given any helpful advice that you’d like to share with us?
 It is not easy being an independent author and there are times when I’ve felt frustrated not to have sold any copies or seeing people interested in reading my books. My father told me that what matters is not the number of copies I’ve sold but to keep working hard at it and I will get to where I want to be because I have the ability to write and not everyone does. That is advice that’s been beyond valuable to me.


Tell us a little bit about the main characters in your novel
      The main male protagonist Warren Harlan is a 24 year old loan officer for a Los Angeles Bank.  Lonely and grief stricken by his father’s passing he is encouraged by his mother to seek distraction by visiting a Nightclub and it’s there he meets Moira Lily. He’s a charming, friendly, easygoing man who can be very stubborn, set in his ways but his love for Moira is boundless.

     The female protagonist 23 year old Moira is a head turning beauty with pale, blonde hair, green eyes and a melodious laugh which captures Warren since their first meeting. She's the main singer of the Gilded Rose nightclub possessing an angelic voice and unrivaled grace. Moira’s sweet-natured, sincere, vivacious and amiable but also outspoken and impetuous. Carrying a dark secret concerning the nightclub, she has a deep distrust of men and only after meeting Warren can she hope for a life free of the misery and pain following her every step.

     Vaughn Grady is the main antagonist and owner of the Gilded Rose Nightclub where Moira works. A violent, cruel man with an explosive temper, his sole interest lies in making money and doesn’t care if it comes at the suffering of his star singer. To the guests that frequent his club Vaughn appears to be decent and respectable but in reality he is an ambitious, manipulative, heartless criminal who has caused Moira immense sorrow. 

 How did you decide on what to title each book?
 My first two novels, Windswept and Crying, the Nightingale have symbolic titles but my decision usually comes to what fits the novel’s message best. An example is my Puerto Rican novel A la sombra del Aleli which means In the shadow of the magnolia tree and it refers to the tree where the male protagonist reencounters his childhood friend.

Share something with us not a lot of people know about you.
  Since I was 6 years old I dreamed of being an actress and was once in a play at my city’s main theater. Living in Puerto Rico there is not a lot of opportunity for people who aspire to be actors and I decided to dedicate myself to writing. But the dream is still there and I would love to act again just to get that amazing feeling from when I was on stage once again.

Who designed the artwork for your cover?  Or did you design it yourself?
 I designed it myself on Canva.com

That's amazing, it looks fantastic.  I actually tried designing my own, but ended up finding someone more talented.  My covers just looked to Juvenile.  
What brought about the idea for your book?
 The inspiration for my book came from 1950’s film Noir, which I love. Noir films were dramas that dealt with crime, sexual motivations and other real life themes.  

Currently, what are you working on?
I am working on my first Puerto Rican novel, A la sombra del Aleli which is set in a 19th century coffee plantation.

Do you have any hobbies aside from writing?
 I make videos for my YouTube channel Silent movie queen which is mainly about silent era stars. I also love to read.

That's so cool!  Videos and books, you have many talents.  You mentioned you love to read, which is your favorite book?
My all-time favorite book is A tree grows in Brooklyn.  I’ve read it a couple of times and love how it transports me to the 1900’s, my favorite time period.

Suilyaniz ,Any last words you’d like to share with our readers?
 Write, write, write! And don’t give up until you reach the top.

Thanks so much for sharing with us, be sure to check out her website, and book.  Happy Reading!

Find Suilyaniz on  Facebook 

You can find Crying the Nightingale at Amazon

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sarah! Posted the interview on my Facebook page. Let me know if you are ever interested in doing a review swap, I think that would be really fun.

    ReplyDelete