Monday, October 22, 2018

Interview with Josh Grant Author of Pandora







Today I'd like to welcome Josh Grant. Tell us a little about yourself.


I am a self proclaimed Bond villain and a thousandaire philanthropist (like a billionaire philanthropist, just with a lot less money).  I survived a flash flood, encountered numerous bears, and sailed the ocean blue.  I love to read, write, play video games, and occasionally read up on the crazy science that’s happening in the world, but most of all I just enjoy getting people together to love, laugh, and grow alongside each other.  Currently, I make a living teaching and working with kids in various environments, with the occasional novel always in the works.  I’m also the creator of Diabolic Shrimp, a website designed to help authors and readers connect that also gives thousands of dollars to causes that help uplift humanity at large.  I’ve published two horror novels and a young adult fantasy and have about three more coming shortly.



I've been to Josh's site Diabolic Shrimp. It's a great resource for authors as well as for readers looking for great books to read. I highly recommend everyone checking it out. Josh, what brought about the idea for this book?


I wrote each of my books largely because I ran out of similar stuff to read.  My two horror books Pandora and Jericho spawned from a nightmare I had once.  I coupled this with a cruise I took (I love the ocean) and my love of the Resident Evil video game franchise.  The Fifth Ascendant (my YA series) is very near and dear to my heart.  It was the result of me wanting to write something fun and witty after finishing months of writing horror.  It’s my ode to things like Final Fantasy and Avatar The Last Airbender that I grew up with, and it’s essentially a love story since I’m a bit of a romantic at my core.






Currently, what are you working on?

I’m putting the final touches on my Silly Tales from Albanon, a goofy collection of unrelated characters in the same fantasy world that end up making quirky decisions that lead to a big world shattering twist.  It’s quirky and filled with tongue-in-cheek humor and I’m really enjoying it after I just finished my second horror book.  I’m also pushing forward with a Terminator-esque robot apocalypse novel called Nexus and the fantasy follow up The Sixth Ascendant.



Sounds like you have your hands full. What has been the most difficult thing you have struggled with since you began a career in writing?

Probably like most writers it’s finding the time to write.  I’ve got like twenty books crammed inside my head right now and I’m just trying to find a moment to get them on paper.





I agree, finding time is always the struggle. You just have to snag them moments whenever you can. What was your favorite scene to write?

My favorite scene in any of my books is the twist.  Every book I write has a big twist and it’s really fun to spring it after all the build up.  The Fifth Ascendant has some of my favorite scenes ever since I packed it with a lot of action and heartfelt moments.  For that book I made it a rule for myself that every situation had to spiral out of control.  As such, it was fun to plan how every heist could go sideways.  That one is also a love story, so my scene where one main character leaps into oblivion to save another from death despite the fact that there’s no hope of either ever returning will always stick with me.





How do you promote your books? Any tips you can share?

I have three pillars of promotion: public, personal, and quirky.  Public promotions are just general announcements on things like Goodreads, and taking out ads.  These make a difference, but don’t expect an immediate response.  Personal promotion is the most useful.  This is where you speak to individuals, and taking an interest in the individual makes the biggest impact.  Participating in discussions, helping others before trying to get them to help you, and just generally being a friend to others is what really makes the difference.  The fun one is quirky promotion.  I try to think outside the box now and then just to keep it fresh.  I did a book raffle at a haunted house for my horror books and am doing a giveaway on the cruise ship I began writing my first horror book on.  Just oddball stuff like that.  Not sure how well it works, but I’m having fun and that’s really what it’s all about.  My website Diabolic Shrimp is all about free promotion as well.  I buy authors’ books, review them, and give them away to readers for free.  Again, it’s about that personal kindness to others that makes the difference when it comes to promotion.  Good things do happen to good people.






I think most authors are so great about helping and promoting other authors books. It is something I didn't expect getting into this business. It's been a wonderful surprise. Do you have people read your drafts before you publish?  How do you select beta readers?

I actually don’t let anyone read my work before I publish.  Maybe it’s a terrible idea, but I believe that if I get one of my pieces to the point that I love it, at least a hundred other people will love it as well.  That being said, I’m a strict critic of my own work and only publish it when I’ve put it through the wringer and feel like it’s professional.



Josh, who designed the artwork for your cover?  Or did you design it yourself?

I’ve had the joy of working with a couple of very talented artists.  My horror series is illustrated by Ari Bach who has a trilogy of his own and is currently working in the film industry in California.  The Fifth Ascendant’s cover was done by Tyler Edlin, an incredible artist who worked on projects like Zelda Breath of the Wild.  I sought out both specifically because their styles were perfect for what I was trying to accomplish with my stories.  I was very specific with what I wanted for each cover, and they were both great at taking the choppy drawings I provided and producing something worthy of looking at. :)



I think all the covers are great, but I really love the cover to The Fifth Ascendant! How do you handle criticism when it comes to your writing?

I’m a big softy, so not so well (haha!).  I’m super critical of my own writing, but it’s hard to hear criticism from others when it comes to something so near and dear to my heart.  At the end of the day though, it doesn’t affect me too much.  My philosophy is write something you personally love to read and only release it when it’s the best it can be.  People will either like it or they won’t.



No one is ever going to please everyone. I agree, the first person you need to please is yourself. If that happens others will follow. Is there something you learned from writing your first book?

That I can actually write something people enjoy, that it feels really good to publish a book (I seriously just kept staring at it when I passed by), and that I definitely need to use less commas! :)



Commas still confuse me. Thankfully my editor takes care of those. Which do you find more challenging inventing the hero or the villain?  Why?

Neither really.  I absolutely love writing both and they come pretty easy, largely because I build a lot of depth and background into them.  It’s the side characters I struggle with.  I often have to go back and make them less one dimensional or boring.  That’s one of the many things I loved about The Fifth Ascendant.  I made it a rule that there were no side characters in that book.  Everyone mattered and had some deep connection to the plot.  It made it fun and actually way easier to write.



How many times do you think you read your book before going to print?

I typically read my books through six or seven times before polishing them up.  My final read through usually happens after I’ve shelved a book for a year or so just to give me a fresh read of it.



Josh, any last words?


This has been so much fun so thank you for the opportunity!  If anyone would like to connect with me or is interested in any of my work, both writing or promotions, come visit me at www.diabolicshrimp.com!

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and share with us today Josh! Check out more about Josh at the links below. Happy Reading!!


















No comments:

Post a Comment