Monday, August 27, 2018

Interview with Robbin Miller author of Breaking Barriers: A Girl’s Dream to Play Little League with the Boys





Today I would like to welcome author Robbin Miller. Tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Robbin Miller. I am a Children’s Book author since 2015. My current book titled, “Breaking Barriers: A Girl’s Dream to Play Little League with the Boys” is my first chapter book for children ages 8-11 years. It is a memoir of my experiences playing little league baseball in 1975 after it became legal in 1974.

I am a licensed mental health counselor in private practice and an adjunct faculty and success coach at a community college. I have my own TV show titled, “Miller Chat” which is cable-casted on Channel 28 in Shrewsbury, MA. I produced over 300 shows on different topics pertaining to families and to persons with disabilities. I am a mother of a 9 year- old boy and married for 27 years.

Robbin, will you share an excerpt from your book with us.

My name is Robbin Miller and this is my story. I played baseball with boys from 1975 to 1977; however, it was not always possible to do. That’s because girls were not allowed to play Little League Baseball until late 1974. It took several court cases and a US President to sign a new law before girls were allowed to enjoy playing the game alongside boys.

Prior to the signing of the law, girls and women either played in their own leagues or in the minor leagues with men. Sometimes the women’s baseball careers were cut short due to society’s expectations of what a woman was supposed to do in those days.  

I consider myself a pioneer because I rose to the challenge of becoming only one of four girls playing Little League baseball in Bayside, Queens, New York with boys. I learned that being calm and collected built up the self-confidence I needed to face the verbal abuse I received from the crowd and from fellow boy players in Little League. I also learned how outside influences such as struggling in school and trouble with friends resulted in poor performance, causing a setback in my baseball career. However, working hard for the comeback is the sweetest accomplishment. It’s a valuable lesson for any young person to learn during their formative years.

When I tell my story to others, their facial expressions reflect utter disbelief at the meanness directed at me when I was trying to play Little League baseball with boys. It was not just the kids; adults played their part in trying to discourage me from my goal.

What brought about the idea for this book?

I wanted to inspire girls to play little league baseball. I find through the literature that not many girls play little league baseball as they are encouraged to play softball instead. For girls who do play little league baseball, they are discouraged from playing baseball with boys after they turn 12 year-olds and are directed to play softball with girls.  

I wanted to share my story when I played in 1975 as a pioneer who took on the challenge to overcome the adversity and resistance I endured from the boys and from the fans. A law was passed in December 1974 and signed by a US President that allowed girls to play little league baseball.  I thought my entrance in an unknown domain would be easy and accepting. Apparently, I was wrong and learned some powerful lessons to achieve my dream.

I bet that was quite an adventure being one of the pioneers. Where do you see yourself in five years?

I want to write more chapter books/picture books on issues important to children. I love writing stories that I have either observed or experienced in my life. I enjoy promoting important growth and transformational lessons for children to learn from and to continue in their lives.
I would like to teach full-time at a college and retire from mental health counseling.
 
Best of Luck to you, I hope you find the time to write more. Have you been given any helpful advice? If so What?

I have learned to follow your passion and do what you love in life. Don’t look back and regret, instead, move forward with grit and self-determination to accomplish your goals and dreams in life.

Currently, what are you working on?

I am not working on anything currently. However, I am seriously thinking of writing a sequel to my chapter book that tells the story of my academic struggles in school and how little league baseball helped me get through it.

Robbin, what has been the most difficult thing you have struggled with since you began a career in writing?

I work two part-time jobs and volunteer in my community and in my son’s school on the PTO. Writing is more a hobby for me and not a full-time job. I wish it was the other way around but I need to be realistic in setting my priorities and paying the bills. However, I do make the time to write pieces of my work a few days a week as I find writing to be very therapeutic for me.

I think that's a struggle a lot of authors have, just trying to find the right balance. Tell us a little bit about your main characters:

The main character is me as a 9-year old girl learning wanting to play little league baseball without knowing that it was illegal for girls to do so in 1974. Fortunately, the law was passed that enabled the main character to play with boys; however, she was naïve in believing it would be smooth sailing for her. She entered unchartered territory that resulted in a tailspin of enduring verbal abuse and bullying but with the determination and grit to prove she can play as well as the boys in the baseball diamond.  The main character learned some important lessons that became life-long for her.

What was your favorite scene to write?

The favorite scene was writing about the parade and how myself and three other girls received loud boos, jeers and name-calling from 300 boys and fans on the baseball diamond.

That must have been hard to live through as a young girl. What has been the best compliment you have received?

“Thank you for sharing your story and inspiring girls to play little league baseball with boys.”

What kind of research do you do before you start a new story?

I look on the web for information from reliable sources to see if my kind of book has been written before and historical research if I am writing a memoir, non-historical non-fiction- of my past experiences in a particular life -changing event.

How do you promote your books? Any tips you can share?

I use social media such as Facebook to join author and parent groups interested in my books.
I also advertise on children’s books websites.
My publisher has a marketing director who is responsible for writing my press releases on my book and emailing them to appropriate prospects.

Robbin, do you have people read your drafts before you publish? 

Yes, I have hired professional editors to read my rough drafts before emailing to prospective publishers and/or self-publishing them by myself.

How do you handle criticism when it comes to your writing?

I take it in stride. I have come a long way to improve my writing skills since I was a child. I appreciate the feedback and take steps to polish up my writing.

Is there something you learned from writing your first book?

My first picture book was “Playgroup Time,” in which I self-published it on my own. I learned about the challenges in marketing your book to prospective customers and to book stores as many of them prefer a traditional publisher and/or agent to pitch your books to them to sell for you.

Unfortunately that is a struggle I think most Indie Authors have to face. Which do you find more challenging inventing the hero or the villain?  Why?

I find it more challenging to invent the hero as I have to make sure the character follows the direction and transformation on the “Hero’s Journey” path.

How many times do you think you read your book before going to print?

Enough times to know before it goes to print.

Robbin, any last words that you'd like to share with us today?

Write what you love and share your story.


Thanks for sharing with us. Happy Reading!!
.
Playgroup Time
Three Best Friends
Breaking Barriers: A Girl’s Dream to Play Little League Baseball with Boys.



1 comment:

  1. I want to thank Pen It Publications for doing an excellent in editing and doing the illustrations for my book. I am very pleased with their work and responding to my questions to a timely manner.

    ReplyDelete