Monday, July 2, 2018

Illustrator Interview with David Hillman



Today I'd like to welcome a very talented illustrator, David Hillman!

What made you want to be an illustrator?

I’ve been drawing since I was six years old, but it didn’t occur to me that I could make a living at drawing until I turned 13 and went to my first comic book convention. I was at the show, sitting in a corner just doodling a comic book character, and someone came up to me and offered to buy what I was drawing. I sold him the piece, and that’s when I realized I could make a living at drawing. I’ve been doing it ever since.

David, I can tell you put a lot of time into your illustrations. They are detailed and exceptional quality, how long does it typically take for you to complete one color illustration of a book?

A simple line drawing with flat colors typically takes about a day or two. A fully painted illustration can take between two or three weeks.



I am sure you have learned a lot over the years, what tips would you give a new illustrator starting out?

Be adaptable to changing taste, and be diversified in your skills. Try your hand at watercolors, pen and ink, colored pencils, markers, and computer skills. Explore as many fields of illustration as you can, whether it’s picture books, storyboards, comic books, and so on. The more fields you work in and the more diversified your skills, the more marketable you become.



Do you have any warnings could you give an author looking for a new illustrator? 

Before shopping for an illustrator have a fully prepared concept, business plan, and a budget. Beware of just going with the cheapest bid; you will get what you pay for. Talk to some of their clients to be sure they are reliable.




When an author contracts with you, do they own exclusive rights to the images, or does that have to be purchased separately?

Usually the images remain mine, but there is always room for negotiation.

Do Illustrators offer revisions of their work?

 I do. Usually the first round of revisions is included in the original quote, but any revisions afterwards would require additional compensation. It’s always best to ask before settling on a fee and signing any contracts.



David, any last words?
Do what makes you happy, and you’ll be much better off for it.

Thanks so much for sharing. Check out more of David and his work at the links below. Happy Reading!!

Email: dnahillman@earthlink.net   
Website
Linked In
Instagram
SCBWI

No comments:

Post a Comment