Monday, February 19, 2018

Interview with Illustrator Allison Holland




Welcome Allison Holland, please tell us a little about yourself .

I always wanted to do something creative with my life, but I was lured by the temptation of a steady paycheck and company-paid benefits and ended up trapped in the soul-sucking machinery of corporate America for far too long. Finally, after yet another layoff, I just couldn't go back and do it anymore and decided I needed to chase my dreams before I was too old and tired to run after them anymore. Illustrating happened by necessity. I wrote a couple of children's stories and they needed pictures and being the cliché starving artist, I couldn't pay anyone to do it for me. I'd been dabbling in animation at the time, so I had the tools available, and I've always had the desire to draw … it's just the ability that's somewhat lacking :)

If there was one thing you wished author’s knew about illustrating what would it be?

It takes SO long! When a story idea hits me, I can have the first draft pounded out on the keyboard in a matter of days. But I'm lucky if I can get through two illustrations in a day. And my work is very basic. I can only imagine the time and effort that goes into some of the artwork in children's books. I probably spend as much time erasing and starting over as other people spend creating, but you're trying to capture a moment or convey feeing and emotions. The illustration can't just reflect the text, it has to compliment it. It's harder than I ever thought it would be.

How do you communicate with the author on a project? Do you like it when the author gives a lot of direction or just lets you have creative license?

So far I've only done illustrations for my own writing. But I've done a fair bit of animation for other people and I like it when the person has a clear idea of what they want, but lets me get there in my own way. There's nothing worse than someone who's completely vague about what they want up front, but very sure that you did it wrong when you've finished. I don't mind being given a lot of direction … if my job is to bring someone's idea or vision to life, I'd rather feel confident that I've got all the information I need.

That's good to know. What do you typically charge per illustration?

If someone ever let me illustrate one of their stories or books, I'd be so flattered I'd probably pay them for the privilege.

What has been your favorite project to work on so far?

I liked doing the third Raspberry Sassafras book. Raspberry was doing some interesting things so I had fun trying to figure out how to accomplish some of the effects. I also learned how to draw a big, pink Cadillac convertible, so that was awesome. I also made a little “meet Raspberry Sassafras” animation for my website, which was fun. I'd like to do more animation with Raspberry. Nothing long or involved … just quick little mini-movies. Somehow the magic of seeing her come to life helps hide the fact that I really can't draw. :)

What is your preferred method to illustrate in?  Digital? Pencils? Watercolor?

I tried using a graphics tablet, but I just couldn't get the hang of looking at my laptop screen while my hand was off to the side doing the drawing. And I LOVE colored pencils … I'm a huge fan of the Prismacolor pencils and I use them in all my coloring books. But what I finally settled on for my books is a Lenovo MIIX notebook because I can draw right on the screen with an active pen. So I get all the digital benefits of a graphics tablet, without the frustration of my hand refusing to cooperate with what my brain is telling it to do.



Thanks Allison, any last words you'd like to share with us?

I would encourage people in a position like mine to take a stab at doing their own illustrations. I mean, if you've got the means to hire someone, do it. There are some outrageously talented people out there and when I get rich and famous, the first thing I'll do is hire a proper illustrator. But doing my own work has brought me closer to my stories and my characters. I'm very attached to Raspberry and Jane and I think all of the time and effort I've put into the drawings has a lot to do with that.

Find out more about Allison at the links below!  Happy Reading!!

 




- I'm @RazSass on Twitter

- My books are on Amazon and Barnes & Noble … the prices are all over the board right now because I just left Lulu.com for the more cost-effective Kindle Direct Publishing, so all of the higher-priced Lulu books are still lurking about.

- My email address is RasSass@yahoo.com

- You can purchase all manner of Sassafras swag in my online store https://www.zazzle.com/raspberrysassafras


1 comment:

  1. I am finding Lottery Winner Portal Online. So, that's why I reached on your blog right now please tell me if you provide Idea lottery. I want to become Idea Lottery Winner 2018.
    Idea lucky draw 2018

    ReplyDelete