Monday, October 15, 2018

Interview with Roger Kenworthy, Phd author of Fly on the Wall





Today I'd like to welcome Dr. Roger Kenworthy to the blog.

Thanks Sarah for having me here and answering a few of your questions.


It's my pleasure, why don't you start by telling us a little about yourself.  



I have been teaching English (all skills and all levels, but writing is my favorite) for twenty years in five different countries. My first degree is Ancient Art and Archeology which really helped me when writing my Nathanial Kenworthy series (he’s a time traveler). I have a PhD in Applied Linguistics and this has been a plus for me in doing the research required for writing my stories. Being a teacher allows me to have the summers off to dig into my writing, and having a home in Northern Thailand, is a relaxing environment to work away the hours upon a novel.   


I've heard it's beautiful over there. I would love to go there sometime. Currently, what are you working on?

At the moment, I’m working on a new series about a strong female character who is a trained assassin. I’ve never written a novel with a female as the main character-let alone an alpha female -so, this was a stretch for me. However, that’s how I approach my work; I question how can I break the boundaries that confined me in my previous book(s). It’s exciting and keeps things fresh. 

I think that's how we become better writers too, is to constantly challenge ourselves. Is this a stand-alone novel or part of a series?

My initial idea was just a single book, but it soon grew from one to an additional three more in the series. Book One is written, Book 2 is almost finished, and for Book 3 and 4, I have an outline of the main idea for each one. 

The series and Book 1 is: The Muse: Assassination and release date is December 2018. Book 2: The Muse: Retribution and it should be out late Spring, 2019.   

To date, I have twenty of my books on Amazon. It’s an eclectic mix of genres; dystopian, self-help/motivational, and adventure. Hence, some are standalone while others as part of a series.


When it comes to what project I’ll write about, it’s whatever is interesting to me and I also consider whether can I learn something new when researching the topic. For example, I read a few articles about Neanderthal man and their burial customs and technology. Being curious, I wanted to know more so I wrote a book about a Neanderthal family after doing a lot of research. It’s called, CLAN: Birth of the Chosen One, out in October or November 2018. 

Twenty books is quite an accomplishment.  How did you decide on what to title each book?

There are a number of ways that I arrive at a title for my books. I could decide beforehand or if I’m lost for an appropriate title, it usually happens organically. I’m writing and a memorable sentence or a phrase stands out, one that grabs my attention, or seems to fit the text, and then I use it for my title.  

Dr. Kenworthy, will you share something with us not a lot of people know about you?


Most don’t know that I work in the Middle East (for twelve years) and live in Thailand. Our family home is 3,697 miles from work, and as a result, I manage to spend only about three months together with my family each year. It’s good and bad. I’m not at home with them. But, this provides me with lots of time to write my books since I don’t watch television (it’s been about four years now) or go to the movies, rather, I spend my hours writing after work and on the week-ends.

That would be hard to be away from your family that much. What are your hobbies aside from writing, if any?

I enjoy painting and photography. My painting is abstract, with thick brush strokes and colorful patterns - I can’t draw, so throwing paint on a canvas is my avenue for those creative urges. As for photography, a gallery in Canada had a fifteen-picture exhibition of my photos taken while in Kunming, China. I felt as if I was on a National Geographic assignment – just exploring the city and taking pictures for an entire week…heaven! 

I love photography, but even with all the new technological advances, I still don't have that talent. Which are your favorite books?


That’s a very difficult question. If I was stranded on an island I wouldn’t want just one, it would have to be an armful. These would include The Prophet (Khalil Gibran), This Thing Called You (Ernest Holmes), The Book of Mirdad (Mikhail Naimy), and The Mahabharata.

I’d also bring along a copy of my own book, The Ascent. It’s not about ego or that I think I’m Osho or Rumi. I’m not. It’s much more personal. A very special person read this book, and she said her life was changed by the message it contained. Sadly, she passed at 36 years of age…we lost her too early, so, this is my reminder of how C.L. influenced my life. 

What is your writing process like?  Do you have a routine?

The process starts with my “Books To Write” folder on my Desktop. As I read some information about a topic, I may come-up with an idea to write about it. After making a summary of the idea, it stays there until I’m ready or inspired to research/write it. There’s usually around ten books waiting to be completed. So, as one is done, I scan the folder and decide what’s next. Then the writing begins.

I do have a routine, however, at times it must be flexible due to my full-time job. During the summer break, I usually get up around 4 am and write a few hours or until I’m tired. When I’m at my job, there’s a window of opportunity of an hour or so to write during the evenings. Most of my writing is completed on the week-ends when I get up early and write until noon or until I drop.  


What advice would you give someone who is considering publishing? Should they consider traditional or self-publishing?



If you are considering publishing, do it. The entire process is easy to research and learn about accessing writing templates, buying book covers, and editing professionals. There are so many services that have sprung-up over the past few years to help us. In the end, write it and then figure out how you’ll get on Amazon or elsewhere. 

I think that self-publishing is the path to take for many reasons. However, the main reason to self-publish is that as a writer, you have control, from start to finish, for any book you write. That’s empowering to me – no form letters saying, “Great idea, but not my genre” or “Well written, but I have too many clients at the moment.”

So…Write it. Edit it. Get a cover. Download it. Promote it.  


Thanks for the advice. Are there any last words you'd like to leave us with?


For me, the motivation to be an author has always been the intrinsic benefits from creating new worlds, characters, and adventures. If I would have had money as my goal to be a writer, I would have quit after the first book (I finished my first book in 2007, and self-published it a few years later).



In my mind, nothing can equal the thrill of sitting down to a blank computer screen and after weeks and months of work, produce a finished product that is the result of your ideas and inspiration. It’s truly a spiritual experience for me.   



The process is what drives me to write the next one, I guess I’m addicted to creativity and it just happens to be this form. Perhaps, others who aspire to be writers should consider the process and the long path itself as the goal…before the money.

Dr. Kenworthy, thank you so much for sharing with us today. Before to check out more about Dr. Kenworthy's books at the links below. Happy Reading !!




Amazon
Website 1
Website 2
FB Page
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment