Monday, March 5, 2018

Interview with Illustrator Cara Buns


Today I'd like to welcome Illustrator Cara Buns to share with us.  Cara can you tell us a little about yourself?

My name is Cara Burns. I live in the Midwest with my two kids and three dogs and my horse Bru. I have been drawing for as long as I can remember but graduated with a degree in fine arts, graphic design, and book arts in 2015. I currently am self employed doing illustration, design, and teaching and advocating the arts and literacy to kids.

If there was one thing you wished author’s knew about illustrating what would it be?

I wish authors understood that the creative process isn’t always something you can force. A lot goes into every illustration before I even pick up a pencil.

How do you communicate with the author on a project? Do you like it when the author gives a lot of direction or just lets you have creative license?


I prefer everything in email so I can keep it organized and go back and check our conversations as needed. I am okay with either, when working directly with an author I want them to be happy with the end result so I am happy to take instructions. I do find the end results tend to be better when I am allowed some time to come up with my own ideas though. 

What do you typically charge per illustration?


I’m not sure there is a typical charge. I usually do commissions for between $65 - $120 but books are harder to quote. It depends how many illustrations and on a few other factors. I try to walk a line between making sure I’m getting paid fairly for my time and efforts and making sure my work is affordable so it is getting out into the world.

What has been your favorite project to work on so far?


I am working on my very own book centered around dogs. I train and compete in dogs sports as a hobby and sometimes side business and it’s nice to work on a project centered around something you love so much. It is in the very early stages but I’m really excited about it.



What is your preferred method to illustrate in?  Digital? Pencils? Watercolor? 

Pencil and watercolor mostly. I love the softness of watercolor and I really love the detail and texture that can be achieved with pencil. I do work digitally when requested but I hate being stuck in front of my computer more than necessary. I like to draw and paint in my bed when possible. 


Any last words?

Thank you so much for this opportunity!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us today.  Find out more about Cara at the links below.  Happy Reading!!


Instagram: @CaraBCreative
Facebook: ​https://www.facebook.com/CaraBurnsDesign/
Website: www.caraburnscreative.com

No comments:

Post a Comment