Friday, September 15, 2017

Interview with Lauryn April author of Unearthed After Sunset



This week I'd like to Welcome Lauryn April Author of Unearthed After Sunset.  I am so excited to have you with us today.  Why don't you start by telling us a little about yourself.
  
Hello, my name is Lauryn April and I’ve been writing novels professionally since 2012. I’ve published three YA PNR books, and I’m about to publish my first NA/General Fiction PNR novel, Unearthed After Sunset.

Congratulations that's amazing.  Lauryn is this new book a stand-alone novel or part of a series?

Unearthed After Sunset is the first book in the Cereus Vampire Chronicles which I currently expect to be four books long. However, I have a few ideas for books following other characters in this universe.

We look forward to seeing where this story takes you. Can you tell us a little bit about your main characters

Unearthed After Sunset focuses on Greg, a college student who finds himself thrust into a world of vampires after the decision to cut through a graveyard lands him in the path of a particularly ruthless vampire gang. The story is about his journey becoming a vampire and learning to find where he belongs in this new world.

While Greg is my main character, the book is told through dual POV’s so you also get to see the world through Caroline’s eyes as well. At twenty, Caroline has recently entered the family business of vampire hunting, and she isn’t exactly thrilled about it. She’d much rather be at the beach with her friends. And, when the cute guy she meets at the bar one night gets turned into the thing she’s supposed to hunt, she’s faced with a whole new set of challenges.

What is the easiest part of the writing process for you?  What is the hardest?

Coming up with ideas is the easiest. Whenever I have a new idea I have this rush where my thoughts pour free. I’m usually able to bust out a simple outline, character bios and even my first chapter in a day or two. Writing the second half of the book is the hardest. The first 20k – 40k words aren’t too bad, and I usually know how the book will end, but sometimes it’s hard to know exactly how I’m going to get to that final scene.

Currently, what are you working on?

I’m currently flipping between editing the second book in the Cereus Vampire Chronicles, and writing the first draft of the third book.

That's exciting.  Sometimes it's nice to be able to switch focus for a while and work on something else.  I am currently doing the same.  Do you have people read your drafts before you publish?  How do you select beta readers?

I do! I have a few author-friends who beta for me. Beta’s are very important to my editing process. A set of fresh eyes is the best way to catch plot holes and inconsistencies. I’m also a HUGE fan of Scribophile.

What brought about the idea for your book, Lauryn?

The idea for Unearthed popped into my head around the time Twilight was popular. There were a lot of books that hit the market shortly after that with similar themes. I decided I wanted to write a vampire book that was the anti-Twilight. (To be fair, I read Twilight and enjoyed it. I just didn’t like how saturated the market became in that type of sparkly, vegetarian, vampire love story). So, my goal was to have a male main character and to have a kick-ass, independent, female to support him, and while I wanted to keep a romantic subplot, I knew I wanted my vampires to be killers.

I know a lot of people felt that why after twilight, I have seen a lot of groups with the hastag Vampires don't sparkle.  I enjoy both versions.  Do you have any hobbies aside from writing? I know sometimes it's nice to take a break for writing.

I read, but you probably could have guessed that. I also like to paint and travel. This year I spent some time in Mexico, went to South Carolina to watch the solar eclipse and I’m going to Rome this fall.

Mexico is like my second home.  I love it there.  My husband is from there, so I have a special love for it.  I am so jealous Rome is on my bucket list.  Since you wrote in this genre, do you think you will ever write in other genres?

Yes. I really love Paranormal Romance, and I think I’ll always write in that upper YA – General Fiction genre, but I have a few contemporary/suspense plot bunnies hopping around that I think I’d like to get to one day.

What advice would you give someone who is considering publishing? Should they consider traditional or self-publishing?

Do what works for you! I’m a bit of a control freak so I was drawn to self-publishing immediately and I liked getting to learn about cover design, formatting, marketing, and all the other parts that come with writing a book. If you don’t want that much extra work on your plate I’d definitely go the traditional route. My one word of advice if you self-publish is to find a good editor, and be willing to pay a fair price for one. You don’t have to spend thousands on editing, but be prepared to spend hundreds unless you have a family friend willing to cut you a deal.)



You can pre-order Unearthed After Sunset for 99cents from September 15th to October 14th. It will be released on October 15th.

Congratulations Lauryn on your newest book!  Don't forget to Pre-Order it starting today. Happy Reading!!


Lauryn's Links:




No comments:

Post a Comment